memorising notes

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

memorising notes

Postby yummy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:09 am

hi,
Anyone whose private music teacher teach note-reading using flash cards?
Or how does your child's piano teacher get your child to memorise notes?

My girl's piano teacher gets my girl to play Grade 1 pieces without grounding her foundation in note-reading. I'm very uncomfortable this method, but she seems to have been using this approach on all her students. Btw, she teaches in Christofori.
Please advise.
:?:

yummy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby sashimi » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:49 pm

While it may seem like the scientifically/logically correct thing to do, know the language of the notes before you can play - in practice, music isn't really like that. Maybe not for everyone. We aren't computers. Music, like language, is a matter of reflexive learning. I.e. you play until you memorize it; rather than you memorize it first then you play.

My DD is like that - just 4-5 months ago, I was getting really frustrated by the fact that she didn't really KNOW what notes she's playing. But she could more-or-less play from the score, but would occasionally play the wrong notes (as in recognized wrongly and repeatedly play wrongly until corrected).

But after a while I decided to let nature take its course, and in fact, she's much better now. Her ability to sight-read has improved remarkably with encouragement and practice.

So, perhaps you can give your teacher and child a bit more time. :)

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby schellen » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Adding to sashimi's post...

Our DD is kinda like me, plays/sightreads better if we listen to the piece first. Eg, via CD or someone else playing. In the beginning, I had to play for her first, and when I didn't, she'll get frustrated cos she'll get a lot of the notes wrong or she'll take a long time to "decipher" each note. Now, like sashimi said, she is much better at playing and sightreading so I can skip the "pre-playing" part.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby yummy » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:45 pm

thanks a lot to sashimi & schellen, for sharing your experience.
Makes sense to me. Guess I got to give more time.

yummy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby super_dad » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:10 am

I do agree. Too much reliance on notes is not a good thing. Focus on the listening/enjoyment of music part when they are young. The technical part should come later. (I am speaking from experience. I have grade 8 myself. i am more musical than a "singing bush" :lol: ).

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: memorising notes

Postby karmeleon » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:30 pm

yummy wrote:hi,
Anyone whose private music teacher teach note-reading using flash cards?
Or how does your child's piano teacher get your child to memorise notes?

My girl's piano teacher gets my girl to play Grade 1 pieces without grounding her foundation in note-reading. I'm very uncomfortable this method, but she seems to have been using this approach on all her students. Btw, she teaches in Christofori.
Please advise.
:?:

Most kids learn from getting used to seeing & using the notes frequently. Eg. my boys did not know how to read the scores initially, but this certainly was picked up rather quickly not long after.

karmeleon
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

memorising notes

Postby yummy » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:40 pm

BiG thanks to super_dad and karmeleon,
your advice and sharing gives much assurance..
c u :celebrate:

yummy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama