I feel that we should not focus on only classical music.

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

I feel that we should not focus on only classical music.

Postby Ryon.hwang » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:27 am

Most parents are encouraging their kids to take up classical instruments such as the violin, cello or the piano. But do the kids like it? It may also be wise to let them try other more "modern" instruments such as the guitar and drums. My kid has taken up drums and electrical guitar, and he absolutely loves both. Just a passing thought for you to chew on. :smile:

Ryon.hwang
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: I feel that we should not focus on only classical music.

Postby fristrom » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:54 pm

Ryon.hwang wrote:But do the kids like it?

It depends on the kid: my six years old called the Bach double violin concerto "the world best music"...

Was at a CD shop last week looking for something. The entire classical section has been condensed into 3 rows, with most of them are "best of Mozart", "essential Bach" etc. I grew up listening to all sorts of music, and these days, I only listen to classical and jazz. Age is really showing. For me, there is something timeless, and inspirational in classical music... For my other half, classical music is something that put him to sleep :lol:

fristrom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby meiah » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:34 pm

Well, my dd likes the pieces. She listens to them on the CD. She la-la-la them sometimes!!

meiah
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Dreamaurora » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:07 pm

Actually children do love classical music. The trick is to choose music that is accessible and easy to listen. Anyway, I always advocate students to listen to not only classical. I myself listen to alternative rock, jazz, and a little bit of pop from time to time.

Now, the reason why most people would start with classical is because there is already a structured education system put into place. Also the major classical instruments e.g. piano, violin allows for solo playing. If say you pick up electric guitar or drum you do need a band or friends to play. And it is also a lot easier to pick up non classical if you have classical training, but the reverse is not true.

But I agree with the thread starter, if your child does not display any affinity towards classical music, then perhaps a non-classical music training should be considered.

Dreamaurora
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby UncleLim » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:04 pm

Dreamaurora wrote:Actually children do love classical music. The trick is to choose music that is accessible and easy to listen. Anyway, I always advocate students to listen to not only classical. I myself listen to alternative rock, jazz, and a little bit of pop from time to time.

Now, the reason why most people would start with classical is because there is already a structured education system put into place. Also the major classical instruments e.g. piano, violin allows for solo playing. If say you pick up electric guitar or drum you do need a band or friends to play. And it is also a lot easier to pick up non classical if you have classical training, but the reverse is not true.

But I agree with the thread starter, if your child does not display any affinity towards classical music, then perhaps a non-classical music training should be considered.

:goodpost:

Couldn't have said it myself ! :wink:

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby phankao » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:12 am

Dreamaurora wrote:Actually children do love classical music. The trick is to choose music that is accessible and easy to listen.

Strangely, all my kids like classical music! Altho' I'm classically-trained myself, I never did like classical music all that much. Learnt to appreciate through my children. It's really weird. And me, who hated chinese classical music (OMG - opera some more), grew to appreciate it too - from the kid!!!

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby juniorandi » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:57 pm

Hi all, I'm relatively new here.. Just signed up for an account today! Don't know what took me so long! =p Thought it was an interesting topic of discussion. You see, I'm a music educator myself, having thought both in govt and private schools. I thought I'll know what to do when my child is of age to pick up music (about now, since she's 3), but I don't! Being classically trained myself, I see the structure and benefits of what classical music can offer. At the same time, I agree that we shouldn't just focus on classical music alone. In fact, I don't touch on classical music when teaching in classrooms (In govt schs). There is much to be taught and learnt even from the day to day music students hear on the radio. (rhythm, patterns, songwriting, ensemble playing, etc.)

But when choosing to send a kid (say mine, for example) for music class at a young age. Wouldn't one be draw towards the rigour and structure a classical music school can offer? Or maybe there are other music schools out there that offer alternative but comprehensive music education for young children? Maybe some one can share on these schools?

juniorandi
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Headache2010 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:15 pm

juniorandi wrote:But when choosing to send a kid (say mine, for example) for music class at a young age. Wouldn't one be draw towards the rigour and structure a classical music school can offer? Or maybe there are other music schools out there that offer alternative but comprehensive music education for young children? Maybe some one can share on these schools?

My DD is learning at Northwood Music.... focus on Encore Music Education. Very lively, interesting learning as students are exposed to many types of music and Solfege too.
Last edited by Headache2010 on Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Headache2010
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby phankao » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:40 pm

juniorandi wrote:Hi all, I'm relatively new here.. Just signed up for an account today! Don't know what took me so long! =p Thought it was an interesting topic of discussion. You see, I'm a music educator myself, having thought both in govt and private schools. I thought I'll know what to do when my child is of age to pick up music (about now, since she's 3), but I don't! Being classically trained myself, I see the structure and benefits of what classical music can offer. At the same time, I agree that we shouldn't just focus on classical music alone. In fact, I don't touch on classical music when teaching in classrooms (In govt schs). There is much to be taught and learnt even from the day to day music students hear on the radio. (rhythm, patterns, songwriting, ensemble playing, etc.)

But when choosing to send a kid (say mine, for example) for music class at a young age. Wouldn't one be draw towards the rigour and structure a classical music school can offer? Or maybe there are other music schools out there that offer alternative but comprehensive music education for young children? Maybe some one can share on these schools?

I am not a music educator. Just a layperson. I have one that just turned 3yo. I started sending him for music playgroup when he was 18months. He was exposed to different types of classical music, and the musical terms were taught thru play, eg. staccato through bouncing balls around the room with the music, and legato with rolling balls. The kids had super fun. AFter a few months, my boy knew most of the music terms up to grade 1 or 2. They were also exposed to rhythm and different note values. He started exploring the piano and violin bc he liked to copy his older siblings and could figure out how to play tunes. So just before he turned 3, got him started on piano lessons and soon violin. So far progress on piano not bad considering his age and dexterity. I won't quite consider it "classical", since the pieces are mostly songs the kids do hear (he's doing suzuki). But he has been exposed to quite a lot of chinese and western classical music through hearing and some watching since he was newborn.

I think as the parent, you would just follow the lead and interest of your child, right? You'll know the path to follow then.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama