Request for feedback Kindermusik, Semipi, Mandeville etc???

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Postby Bowie » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:29 pm

Hi mommies,

Looking out for music class for my 28 months gal. Will be going for Kindermusik Trial class this weekend. But will like to explore more before decide.

Seem like there are mainly 3 more popular schools. Any others??
1) Kindermusik
2) Semipi
3) Mandeville Baby Music

Anyone to share experience on these schools?
Need some advise before decide. Please help. THANX!

Bowie
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby fristrom » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:42 pm

I can't really compare as I think all programs at this age will be focusing on rhythm, story telling etc. Rather than the program itself, being able to capture the kids attention is more important.

fristrom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby foreverj » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:01 pm

hi my daughter has gone thru kindermusik when she was one year old. we continued for 6 months and i feel it really helped her to articulate and vocalise words due to all the nursery rhymes etc. she is currently on seimpi playtime (for 2yr old). its good if u want to let your kid be exposed to the keyboard and have some foundations in music theory. but i m stopping soon as she does not seem to have interest to play the piano. :roll: maybe she's too young. so i m changing back to kindermusik classes held at her childcare cos my daughter enjoys kindermusik more. 8)

at age of 28mths, most of the music classes wil stil focus on music appreciation ie. singing, moving to the music etc. seimpi introduces notes like C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C and treble clef, bass clef etc. so it really depends on wat u want for your kid. can't give advice on mandeville as we have not tried it yet. feel the best is for u to go for the trials and ask your kid which he/she prefers.

hope this helps! :D

foreverj
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby smum » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:30 am

My elder son attend Kindermusik for one term when he was young. We quite like it as there are a lot of singing/dancing and it covers a lot of different instruments. It give good exposure to the children. But we did not continue for long as we thought it is also possible to create these type of environment at home. You can go for the one lesson trial in Kindermusik and see if your child like it. That is most important.

smum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Bowie » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:15 am

Dear ALL,

Thanx for sharing. We have went for Sunday class and my gal like it very much!!

My gal like to perform and sing songs so decide to sign up to let her enjoy music and improve her tempo and fine motor skill first.

Will probably consider more formal music training when she older. Want to cultivate her interest first. That's the basis that will develop to long term growth in any area.

:lol:

Bowie
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby foreverj » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:08 pm

hi bowie

glad u r signing up. even for the kindermusik class in school, my daughter enjoys it very much. every month she wil bring back a CD. last week, when i switched on for her, she actually did a "performance" by following a song on the CD n it was quite "professionally" done too. tot it kind of covered the "speech and drama" kind of training too. so overall i think kindermusik is a great investment for us :)

foreverj
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby crmummy » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:18 pm

I am not sure is there any changes to Kindermusik 5 yrs ago. My boys enjoy every bit of it. I stop once they are old enough to go for Yamaha lessons.

My ger 3 yrs old is currently taking Semipi. To me the lesson there dont seems to be focus on music appreciation. It seems to be more accelerated learning of reading music notes, tapping and playing piano. She is slow learning so she did not play as well as the other kids. Most of the kids there are able to play some short simple pcs. May be the younger age children prg will be different. You may try the trial classes.

crmummy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby mummyyuki » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:49 pm

Hi!

I had bad experiance with Seimpi. My child completing her 2 year group class with them but told me they are unable to arrange the normal 45 min session for her at $170 for 4 session. So asked us to either sign up for 30 min session at $160 only $10 cheaper which work out to be $80 per hr or can give us 45 min under a newly join teacher wo much teaching experiance.

The worse thing is the school told us her existing teacher no time slot but yet open a new group class for her!!!

Feel a bit cheated. We find the school is out to make profit and only interested to conduct group or their SMART program course.

FYI, my child also qualify for their SMART prgm course but we find 2 times per week is stressful for a child and the fee of $340 per mth is exp so we opt out.

Just like to share out my story so think twice before enrole with them.

mummyyuki
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mum05 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:11 pm

We've been to both Seimpi and Mandeville. We've even gone for a trial with the latter. Not really impressed. They were unable to take in my child then, reason being that she's too young for a one-to-one violin session and even the group class(insisting on a min age of 4-5years and my girl was only about a month away from turning 4yrs old at that time).

We paid S$50+ for a 45min trial lesson - group preschooler music appreciation course since according to them, this is the only suitable one and we found it a total waste of time. I've gathered info that this course is for children btwn the age from 3 to 4.5 yrs(think they've changed the info on their web now) but we were shocked to see even younger children in the class and most of them didn't pay much attention and the teacher has to keep 'calling them back'. As such, out of the 45mins, I would the 'actual lesson' we've got from it was only abt 15mins or less(including the teacher marking their homework in the class!). Even my girl turned to us during the lesson and said "I think too many friends already"... Needless to say, we didn't sign up any course with them...

Then, it was Seimpi. Again, they're unable to take in any child below the age of 4. As her mother, I know she's able to but apparently, even the teachers whom have spoken to and seen her in person(we arranged and waited for the teacher to interview her in person) were not confident enough to take her in. They again, suggested for us to let her participate in the group music appreciation course, which I think will only lessen their 'job' cos the basics would have been taken care of by the time they proceeded to the individual selected instrument course. Besides, such appreciation class uses/teaches on keyboard/piano and in a way, it would normally help 'future' piano/keyboard students better and even her preschool would have keyboard lessons at K1, so we're not entirely keen. However, the staff at the branch I've been to was rather polite and informative as compared to Mandeville's.

Luckily for me, I spotted the violinlesson.com online and they gave me the contacts of 2 private violin teachers. They both have years of teaching children and 1 of them even has student as young as 2.5 yrs old. Eventually, we took up lessons with the other one whom we've met up with 'cos she's near where we are residing. My child is now the 2nd youngest student she's taken in. She also teaches violin at a renowned primary school and probably because of her commitment with the school, there tend to be some hiccups on the lessons' arrangement as the school will call her back from time to time. But despite of the skipped/missed weeks' of lessons, my girl is progressing on time. From the time she's started her lesson Dec last yr, she's now playing the Allegretto piece.

I hope my sharing of what I've experienced is useful to someone, :).

mum05
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:19 pm

mum05 wrote:... I hope my sharing of what I've experienced is useful to someone, :).

Definitely useful! Thanks mum05!

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Next

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama