Keyboard training advice

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Keyboard training advice

Postby ramgee » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:47 pm

My ds(8 years) started keyboard lessons at home 2 years ago. We were into it mainly as appreciation, so did not focus on any grades. This year the teacher said he is ready for grade 2 and had him enroll in the grade2 Trinity practicals, which he passed.
The teacher lets him have fun, teaches both keyboard and piano books and also helps to set music for other pieces that my sons wants to play occasionally (in community events etc.). However there is no peer pressure and I find DS does not push himself at all (sometimes only practices 1/2 hour before class), but enjoys the classes, will ask me to listen when he has done a piece really well etc.
Now DS is continuing and wants to do grade 3 next year.
My questions are:
* Should I have him continue the individual lessons, or will a group help?
* Any opinions on Trinity Vs other exam boards? Do the popular schools (Yamaha, Christopheri) use the same exam board or how do they compare?

Thanks much!

ramgee
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Keyboard training advice

Postby peanut_butter » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:10 pm

Is he going to sit for keyboard or piano exam?

Could do both individual and group if your finance allows. Group is fun, while individual lessons allow the teacher to work on the very specified problems.

I think most music school teachers feel okay to prepare students for their prefered exam board, but you may have to register online yourself.

Cristofori hire lots of unsuspecting FT from China, Indonesia and the Philippines. Offer ABRSM and their own certificates. Not sure about Yamaha.

peanut_butter
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jeremykoh » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:57 pm

If i'm not wrong, I think Yamaha uses their own yamaha grading certs while Cristofori use ABRSM. Well, that was when I took classical guitar lessons at Yamaha back when I was younger. FT or not, it is good to choose a teacher with good communication skills and a music degree.

jeremykoh
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby boringtazz » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:09 am

Hi ramgee, I'm currently looking for good keyboard teacher for my 7 years old son. Looking at your comments, your teacher seems pretty good. Would you be able to give me more details about your keyboard teacher?

boringtazz
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama