Is digital piano sufficient for grade 9 exam?

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Is digital piano sufficient for grade 9 exam?

Postby bezzlay » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:33 pm

My DS1 will be taking his grade 9 exam next year Mar and currently we are using a Yamaha keyboard. We are thinking to upgrade to an electone or digital piano so that he can control the volume of the music piece that he is playing. I would like to seek advice from experience parents here on which one is good enough to practice for the exam?

bezzlay
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Is digital piano sufficient for grade 9 exam?

Postby bailabi » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:59 am

Im surprised he managed this far with a keyboard. Is he doing well? He is nt getting the required tone practice. I recommend an acoustic piano.

bailabi
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Dreamaurora » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:00 pm

bailabi wrote:Im surprised he managed this far with a keyboard. Is he doing well? He is nt getting the required tone practice. I recommend an acoustic piano.

Yamaha grades the lower the better, unlike ABRSM. Standar recommedation for the piano would be to get an acoustic of Yamaha U1 equivalent. If budget is tight, a clavinova or cheap upright can be purchased, but this means as the child progress to more advanced grades need to buy new piano.

Dreamaurora
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bezzlay » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:15 am

He is taking Yamaha JXC now so grade 9 exam is the lowest grade. After this course he do not want to continue and we respect his wish. I have 2 more DS, one taking JMC and the other will start next year. We are not sure about their interest and potential at this point so do not want to invest too much. :P If a digital piano is good for the exam then we are likely to get that. :)

bezzlay
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Dreamaurora » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:17 am

bezzlay wrote:He is taking Yamaha JXC now so grade 9 exam is the lowest grade. After this course he do not want to continue and we respect his wish. I have 2 more DS, one taking JMC and the other will start next year. We are not sure about their interest and potential at this point so do not want to invest too much. :P If a digital piano is good for the exam then we are likely to get that. :)

In that case you can just get a cheap 2nd hand Clavinova for the time being. Although I suspect if your son refuse to continue piano at such an early grade, the experience of learning must had been a negative one (most often caused by bad teachers). Or he must really dislike the instrument.

Dreamaurora
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby peanut_butter » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:57 am

Are the exam pieces contemporary or classical?

Play-By-Ear (in Buggis) sells Digital Piano/Keyboard of varies qualities. These are all weighted 88 keys.

CDP100 - $664 (shallow touch. Good for entry-level. Not so nice to play.)
PX130 - $989 (okay, okay)
Yamaha P95 - $1023 (better)
SP250 - $1063 (good till intermediate level. I like the touch and tone.)
Yamaha CLP*** (recommended by non-classical professionals. But expensive)

peanut_butter
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby bailabi » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:37 pm

Dreamaurora wrote:
bailabi wrote:Im surprised he managed this far with a keyboard. Is he doing well? He is nt getting the required tone practice. I recommend an acoustic piano.

Yamaha grades the lower the better, unlike ABRSM. Standar recommedation for the piano would be to get an acoustic of Yamaha U1 equivalent. If budget is tight, a clavinova or cheap upright can be purchased, but this means as the child progress to more advanced grades need to buy new piano.

Lol, ic.. i was so impressed when i tot u meant trinity haha. Sry im nt familiar with yamaha gradings

bailabi
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby phankao » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:38 pm

bailabi wrote:
Dreamaurora wrote:

Lol, ic.. i was so impressed when i tot u meant trinity haha. Sry im nt familiar with yamaha gradings

Trinity does not have grade 9, does it? Maybe china exams yes. :P

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby twilight » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:36 pm

I used a clavinova till JAC (grade 7?) if I remember correctly and grade 5 ABRSM. But I still prefer the acoustic piano as it has a totally different touch and the sound quality is different too.

twilight
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby zaizaimum » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:32 am

Anyone looking for a good digital piano should have a checklist that includes the COMBINATION of good key touch, good piano sample and a good amplification system.

My kid has been using a Yamaha CLP280 with wooden keys for a year now and loving it...and his dad loves it even more :-D ! Anyway, we are looking at selling it coz my hubby wants to get a synthesizer workstation to introduce my kid to music recording which he is keen at doing now.

If anyone is interested to view/buy it, do PM me your contact so that my hubby can liaise with you :-)

zaizaimum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama