All About Choosing Piano Schools And Teachers

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.
Dreamaurora
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:37

Re: All About Choosing Piano Schools And Teachers

Post by Dreamaurora » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:59 pm

Jacksonjose1128 wrote:
Dreamaurora wrote:
Jacksonjose1128 wrote: I have some qns here.... not regarding your class thou, Im just curious if you learn piano in A B C note or do re mi? I got my textbook from Yamaha and was shock that the book has do re mi in it
Pretty much most method books other than Yamaha or Suzuki use the alphabet system to name the notes. Do Re Mi are solfeges and used in extensively in Yamaha or Suzuki because of the nature of the method i.e. a lot of listening and copying at beginning stage. It is significantly a lot easier to affix pitches to Do Re Mi rather than A B C.
And I have one more qns here.... I just bought a new piano for myself, its an upright piano
The person will deliver to me tmr, the salesperson there told me the tuning service will come to me about a week cos the piano needs "rest"
Does that mean I can't play the piano for the one week? I know its out of tune, but i just feel the need to practise the fingering, does it affects the "rest" they are talking about?
You can of course play it. I never heard that brand new piano piano needs to 'rest'. Maybe he meant that the brand new piano needs to be exposed to current weather condition first so when the tuner tunes the piano it won't go out of tune fast.

cse1217
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by cse1217 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:28 pm

Hi Jacksonjose1128
Agree with Dreamaurora. Dont worry, you can still play piano! It shouldnt affect the tuning that needs to be done later. It means the optimum timing for tuning from the timing that the piano is being bought and settle down.

cse1217
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by cse1217 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:32 pm

Jacksonjose1128 wrote:
I have some qns here.... not regarding your class thou, Im just curious if you learn piano in A B C note or do re mi? I got my textbook from Yamaha and was shock that the book has do re mi in it[/quote]

My personal preference is still using A, B, C because when we do theory, the notes are usually refer with letter names. For do re mi, I like to think of it as a relative pitch system. So depending on which key you learn, the do re mi is different. That's my only personal preference :)

I do play by ear :)

Jacksonjose1128
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Jacksonjose1128 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:52 pm

cse1217 wrote:
Jacksonjose1128 wrote:
I have some qns here.... not regarding your class thou, Im just curious if you learn piano in A B C note or do re mi? I got my textbook from Yamaha and was shock that the book has do re mi in it
My personal preference is still using A, B, C because when we do theory, the notes are usually refer with letter names. For do re mi, I like to think of it as a relative pitch system. So depending on which key you learn, the do re mi is different. That's my only personal preference :)

I do play by ear :)[/quote]
I attended my first lesson, Im so in love with it! I like to use do re mi maybe cos I used to play the Erhu? Erhu uses Solfege
The teacher went through the lesson relatively fast with me, yea and I could actually follow that pace (; looking forward to the rest of my lessons is Yamaha

marmalade
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by marmalade » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:53 pm

Any recommendation for piano teacher who is teaching young children (age 4-6) in a small group (max 4 students) at home in the north-east area?

Thanks!

cse1217
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by cse1217 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:41 pm

Jacksonjose1128 wrote:
cse1217 wrote:
Jacksonjose1128 wrote:
I have some qns here.... not regarding your class thou, Im just curious if you learn piano in A B C note or do re mi? I got my textbook from Yamaha and was shock that the book has do re mi in it

I do play by ear :)
I attended my first lesson, Im so in love with it! I like to use do re mi maybe cos I used to play the Erhu? Erhu uses Solfege
The teacher went through the lesson relatively fast with me, yea and I could actually follow that pace (; looking forward to the rest of my lessons is Yamaha[/quote]

Ah I see. If you are learning chinese music, then it will be using solfege and all the score reading is in solfege. Interesting that you are learning Erhu!! :) If you are using solfege, you need to be familiar with the scales of different keys well! All the best in your learning!

donnia
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by donnia » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:00 pm

Hey I think the kid is too small for piano classes, why hurry, let him be at least 5 years old.

doodlez01
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by doodlez01 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:08 am

i will like my 7-yr old son to learn piano. as i don't have a piano at home, is piano school the best option for him? if so, which school is the best? i'm contemplating on going to cristofori - any experiences to share? =)

giraffeviolin
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by giraffeviolin » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:33 pm

Hi! I am looking for a female, very experienced and qualified piano teacher to teach my DS who is 4 years old. He has been playing the violin singe 3.5 years old and recommended by violin teacher to learn piano as well. We r staying in a sengkang. I will bring him over to your place if you r within sengkang, hougang, AMK area. A teacher who has plenty of patience and good in handling young children preferred. Pls PM me. Thanks in advance !

dreamtheater
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by dreamtheater » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:27 pm

Hello doodlez01,

The piano is a great instrument to start with but probably the most difficult to master. The pitches, (do re me/ C D E) are all fixed and layed out neatly in order - you wouldnt go out of tune easily like a violin/cello or unless the piano is out of tune.

Sitting at the piano doesnt give you an awkward angle to play on. They say the piano imitates a hundred instruments, meaning you can articulate long or short sounds, create a wide range of dynamic (grand or softer tones) and has wide range of pitches. It can bring out a wide range of imagination just as it is. Like a thunder or a roar by pushing on the low tones for example. From the piano, it is easier to adapt to learning other instruments.

So those are a few reasons why the piano is a good instrument to start with. Cons are, in the end you have to learn to adapt to other pianos during an exam or performance because every piano has a different quality in touch and tone.

In terms of where you could begin lessons, i think this forum has a whole load of points you could track back haha.

For Cristofori, it depends on the competency level of the teachers. You could ask for an experienced teacher and who has at least a Diploma in performance/teaching.

I can only write from my experience of having a handful of referred students from the school. The turnover of teachers can be quite high. Meaning their teachers change after a year of two. I have a cousin who is stuck in the same grade for nearly 3 years and I do not understand why, unless he is not practicing. ( but he is.)

However i have also met a few dedicated Cristofori teachers. I think the school holds a student concert yearly too.

Remember to always ask feedback from the teacher and also discuss on at least a monthly basis the progress of your child.

But to any other school there are pros and cons. Sometimes it is best to hire an experienced teacher. I saw a lot of my students who were hanging for a few years and quite lost in their lessons before actually progressing when I took over.

Its a trial and error thing in the end, try out at Cristofori first if you want, and ask for feedback and opinions here if you need. Maybe purchase a nice Casio keyboard to start with and see if piano suits your child first. Good luck!