Piano progress - 1 Grade for each Year?

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Piano progress - 1 Grade for each Year?

Postby heyhoe » Thu May 07, 2009 5:24 pm

Hi,

Ds's music teacher told us that he'll progress based on 1 exam for each year. Is this true? :? I'm rather confused. She also mentioned that she wants DS to have allrounded music lesson meaning exams and some fun pieces. :|

Also, I noticed that she didn't correct his sitting posture. I wonder if it is time for a change or time to stop his lessons as he doesn't seem to progress much. He spent less than 15 minutes on piano daily :stupid: I think he spend more time on his computer games.

heyhoe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Piano progress - 1 Grade for each Year?

Postby phankao » Thu May 07, 2009 10:27 pm

heyhoe wrote:ons as he doesn't seem to progress much. He spent less than 15 minutes on piano daily :stupid: I think he spend more time on his computer games.

Maybe that's why the teacher says he'll progress at 1 exam grade a year?

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Mon May 11, 2009 7:20 pm

Generally is 1 yr per grade unless students practise diligently and is musical, then they can skip grades.

It is very impt to be well rounded. ie, listening skills, sight reading, technique, general awareness of music and style and a reasonable range of repetoire. Hence the child's music diet is not only the 3 exam pieces a yr.

Postby heyhoe » Tue May 12, 2009 9:03 am

Thanks for the feedback, pianojazzy.

Actually, quite happy if he can have a well rounded music than just focusing on the exam. So, if 1 year can go 1 grade then should be good enough.

Also, can I ask how I can expose him to music in general? Eg. peforming (as I find he doesn't have much chance) as well as going to concert. I know there is an age limit as kids are not allowed, right?

Cheers,

heyhoe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby phankao » Tue May 12, 2009 10:04 am

heyhoe wrote:Also, can I ask how I can expose him to music in general? Eg. peforming (as I find he doesn't have much chance) as well as going to concert. I know there is an age limit as kids are not allowed, right?

Cheers,

Bring for children's concerts & outdoor concerts and whatever free concerts you can find.

Like botanic gardens, or performances at Esplanade concourse, Esplanade Beautiful sunday. Usually all allow young children. The esplanade ones at concourse are only 30 mins , and the beautiful sunday ones - in the concert hall are 1hr but are good for training your child in how to sit at a proper concert:

coming up: Light classical pop - 28 june.
http://www.esplanade.com/whats_on/progr ... /index.jsp

Concourse: quite often there are classical items as well.
http://www.esplanade.com/about_the_cent ... /index.jsp

You can also do a search on esplanade website for all "FREE" events.
Last edited by phankao on Tue May 12, 2009 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Tue May 12, 2009 10:15 am

Normally i'll encourage my students to take part in my yearly students' recital where they get a chance to perform live in front of audience.

Other than that, i'll also encourage them to go for concerts - free ones from SSO. There is one coming up this sun at 6pm at botanic gardens. You can find out more from the SSO website.

Postby schellen » Tue May 12, 2009 12:48 pm

pianojazzy wrote:Other than that, i'll also encourage them to go for concerts - free ones from SSO. There is one coming up this sun at 6pm at botanic gardens. You can find out more from the SSO website.

http://www.sbg.org.sg/calendar/regisform.asp?ID=491

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

music exposure

Postby acforfamily » Wed May 13, 2009 9:03 am

Hi,
My kid had a lot of fun with his music classmates when we mums organised a get together to bring the kids for a concert. As they know each other well, they can talk about the concert in their own language after that.

Thinking of organising another one this Sunday at Botanic Gardens.

acforfamily
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby heyhoe » Wed May 13, 2009 9:16 am

Thanks to all the feedback. Now, I know where to start. :wink:

heyhoe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama