Shy to speak up

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Shy to speak up

Postby winterman05 » Mon May 25, 2009 7:52 pm

hello!
my dd is K1 this year. I realised she is painfully shy when it comes to group activities even though she was exposed to church sunday school and group enrichment class.
She speaks very softly to the teacher but she definitely speaks out loud at home. She can be frightened to answer question though she may not be wrong.
Any suggestions that we can help her? Speech and drama class? Advice appreciated.

Cheers.

winterman05
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Shy to speak up

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon May 25, 2009 10:26 pm

winterman05 wrote:hello!
my dd is K1 this year. I realised she is painfully shy when it comes to group activities even though she was exposed to church sunday school and group enrichment class.
She speaks very softly to the teacher but she definitely speaks out loud at home. She can be frightened to answer question though she may not be wrong.
Any suggestions that we can help her? Speech and drama class? Advice appreciated.

Cheers.

Speech and drama classes will definitely help. Another thing would be to teach her that it is ok to fail. Whenever she does not do something well, take the opportunity to praise her for what she has accomplished and tell her what she needs to do to make things even better.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby SnowBean » Thu May 28, 2009 11:44 pm

winterman05 wrote:hello!

Cheers.

My 11 year old gal is shy too, her teacher in school had feedback to me that she seems so afraid to ask questions. I am thinking of sending her to a confidence building course or public speaking course for kids.

Do you know of any?

SnowBean
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby doratheexplorer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:39 pm

hi i am also looking for such speech and drama courses for my dd (k1) and ds (pri 1). can any one advice

doratheexplorer
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby avshe » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:15 pm

Hi,

it is interesting to note that kids can be talkative at home yet when they are asked to speak up in class they are the only ones who can hear the sound of their voice. My one P1 niece is like that.

She seems to like her Speech & Drama classes in school though and our gage if she has improved would be from her schoolteacher.

But I did gather info from one of the SD Teachers, I know- she said there are some SD group activities that are not as effective for all learners. Sometimes they provoke the shy to become more shy. Perhaps it depends on how the avtivity is conducted by the facilitators themselves.

avshe

avshe
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby jedamum » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:00 pm

It is important to encourage kids to speak up. Start small. Let them help you buy finger food at the fast food restaurant or let them ask for ketchup/chilli. Constant realtime/realife exposure works just as well if not better than simulated speech and drama environment.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby bigsnoopy » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:38 pm

Yes. I have the same problem with my DD. I mean she is not shy among strangers but when you ask her to perform in front of a small group. The color of her face immediately change and she lose her voice. Any good Speech & Drama to reccommend?

bigsnoopy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby avshe » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:06 pm

Hi Jeda,

Yes, I do agree with you. encouraging kids to speak up with them being confident that they will be listened to is just as effective.

Hi YKVT,

I was amused when you said the colour of her face draining. perhaps performing in front of a group does give someone jitters. :) I do know a couple of teachers conducting SD classes but i am not that aware how good the classes are. one of them is teaching at mymca. and i also heard i3 education lab at singpost is offering enrichment courses (not sure if they have speech and drama holiday programmes though. :)

avshe
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby bigsnoopy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:59 pm

avshe wrote:Hi Jeda,

Yes, I do agree with you. encouraging kids to speak up with them being confident that they will be listened to is just as effective.

Hi YKVT,

I was amused when you said the colour of her face draining. perhaps performing in front of a group does give someone jitters. :) I do know a couple of teachers conducting SD classes but i am not that aware how good the classes are. one of them is teaching at mymca. and i also heard i3 education lab at singpost is offering enrichment courses (not sure if they have speech and drama holiday programmes though. :)

Thanks I will check out the recommendations. :smile:

bigsnoopy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby maisy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:02 am

My child is having the same problem... very shy .... and he's a boy !!!

He hides behind me when people says "hi" to him ! Faintz...
For this same reason, he refuses to greet the elders... (i know for a fact that he is shy & doesn't mean to be rude) but i can't use that to defend him when he refuses to greet the elders! So i just have to coax him to greet & he will greet very softly ... and i will have to bear the criticisms (the "aftermath") :(

During school concern last year, he literally froze on the stage!!! It wasn't solo performance... it was with his classmates .. and everyone in his class was singing & dancing ...but he froze there!

maisy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama