Getting Your Child to Practice Effectively

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

how to get a child to practice his piano daily

Postby lifetimeparent » Wed May 25, 2011 11:24 am

my boy i s5 yrs old, he goes for his piano lesson once a week willingly, but he does not like to practice daily or consistently. do you have experience of getting your child to get on to any routine practice on his own?

lifetimeparent
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: how to get a child to practice his piano daily

Postby jojo » Wed May 25, 2011 12:02 pm

set a time and seat down with him. if Per day u want him to practise 30 mins, you can break up to 15 mins each practise:) Reward him, if he does well.

jojo
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby MummyThreeStreams » Wed May 25, 2011 11:11 pm

At that age, it's best if you can sit down with him. Even if he is motivated to sit at the piano on his own, he may not be able to practise correctly. Also, having you sit with him allows him to feel like he is enjoying an activity with you, rather than on his own.

On top of that, I also used sticker rewards. Stickers are great motivators for everything!!

Once he gets into the routine, you can try encouraging him to practise independently. (more stickers!)

DS1, who is in P1, can practise independently but I try to be around when he practises. He likes me to sit with him. He still grumbles and complains about having to go over a piece many times, but I'm hoping these complaints will decrease in time...
Last edited by MummyThreeStreams on Sat May 28, 2011 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MummyThreeStreams
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby UncleLim » Sat May 28, 2011 1:28 pm

Do you listen to and discuss music together with him?

Can he be inspired by watching great pianists play on Youtube?

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby gt1122 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:54 am

try to play chords ad ask him to play melody... then switch roles... it works well for my DD

gt1122
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby dovetail » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:26 pm

lifetimeparent wrote:my boy i s5 yrs old, he goes for his piano lesson once a week willingly, but he does not like to practice daily or consistently. do you have experience of getting your child to get on to any routine practice on his own?

Write a list of things you want him to practice for the session. Get him to tick off those items that he has done and it must be ticked by him (this has a psychological effect on him). Don't reward him with anything for day to day practice sessions if possible. If need to, just stickers. His reward should be intrinsic, the enjoyment of the music and the good feeling from having been discipline and done a good practice session. It is crucial at this starting point to teach him how to divide and conquer his homework. So it's helpful if you sit down with him for the first couple of years to guide him.

I strongly discourage extrinsic rewards because I've friends who had changed from carrots to sticks over their kid's years of practice. Ouch!

dovetail
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jce » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:04 pm

At this age, it is short practices but more times a day. So something like 10-15mins but twice a day (as suggested by another kiasu parent). Another way would be to have a good 30 mins in one shot but include some rhythm clapping, singing. That way it might break the monotony.

jce
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Dreamaurora » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:34 am

Getting a child to practice daily at such a young age may be very difficult because they may not be able to see the reasoning too. As such normally as teacher what I did I worked out a reward system. Say, if they can accomplish certain tasks by a week e.g. learn certain scales, play a piece up to speed, then they acquire some reward point that they can use to exchange for gifts. Don't worry so much that they will be too dependent on rewards. If they love music, when they grow older to pre teen, they will automatically be motivated. But if they don't I believe there's nothing wrong with it and I think all parents should strive to find an activity that their kids will enjoy more.

Parents can also use this method to motivate the children and as someone has mentioned before need to sit down with them to practice.

Dreamaurora
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:21 pm

dovetail wrote:
lifetimeparent wrote:my boy i s5 yrs old, he goes for his piano lesson once a week willingly, but he does not like to practice daily or consistently. do you have experience of getting your child to get on to any routine practice on his own?

Write a list of things you want him to practice for the session. Get him to tick off those items that he has done and it must be ticked by him (this has a psychological effect on him). Don't reward him with anything for day to day practice sessions if possible. If need to, just stickers. His reward should be intrinsic, the enjoyment of the music and the good feeling from having been discipline and done a good practice session. It is crucial at this starting point to teach him how to divide and conquer his homework. So it's helpful if you sit down with him for the first couple of years to guide him.

I strongly discourage extrinsic rewards because I've friends who had changed from carrots to sticks over their kid's years of practice. Ouch!

jce wrote:At this age, it is short practices but more times a day. So something like 10-15mins but twice a day (as suggested by another kiasu parent). Another way would be to have a good 30 mins in one shot but include some rhythm clapping, singing. That way it might break the monotony.

today is my ds2's first lesson. we did the above underlined.
will see if such can sustain his practice interest. :)
if can, i'll summarized it again and include what other stuff we have added to 'spice up' practising time.
thanks!

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby LLK » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:56 pm

regardless of age, 5 or 15 years old, it is always hard to get kids to practise piano everyday, unless they are crazy about piano and can not live without it. based on my experience, it is better to tell them (I presume they enjoy music and playing piano, and are not forced to attend piano lesson) if they want to continue their piano lesson, they must at least have a short practice (20-30 mins) everyday. By so doing, they would be better prepared for the next lesson (teacher would have a better impression of them) and even advance to higher grade faster than their friends. Give them a sense of achievement is one of the ways to motivate them.

LLK
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama