All About English Speech & Drama Enrichment

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Which is your preferred Speech & Drama Enrichment Programme for Pre-schoolers?

Act3 Theatrics
18%
Acts Of Life
1%
British Council
10%
Center Stage School of the Arts
1%
Edufarm Learning Centre
1%
Helen O'Grady Drama Singapore
3%
Hess Education Centre
0%
Julia Gabriel Centre For Learning
26%
Lorna Whiston Study Centres
25%
Magic Moments
5%
Monsters Under The Bed
0%
Studio Wu - Wu Kidz Club
0%
The Ballet and Music Company
3%
[Others - Please specify in thread]
5%

Total votes: 208

giraffeviolin
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: All About English Speech & Drama Enrichment

Post by giraffeviolin » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:26 pm

ruhuasee wrote:Hi my kid is quite reserved in speaking and socialize... do you think its a good idea to send her to speech and drama ? She is 6 and next year will be P1 .. just worry if i send her to speech and drama, she may feel inferior when seeing others speaking so well .... any recommendations please..

Thanks
You may want to consider to send her to a show and tell class. It's prepares the child for primary school. I would think that may be more relevant then speech and drams classes. I am sending my DS to learning journey (located in serangoon) show and tell - public speaking class. Class size is small and the teachers are pretty passionate in what they do. You will always get feedback from the teacher after every lesson and you will also get a video of their presentation during class to your watsap in your phone. In fact I was pretty impress with them. Hope the above helps. All the best !

kpooj
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by kpooj » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:14 pm

I am an experienced Early Childhood Educator with a Degree in Early Childhood Education and currently teaching Speech and Drama to preschoolers. If you need help to prepare your preschoolers for Public Speaking, Poem Recitations and Creative Writing please feel free to contact me on my email singh_pooj@yahoo.com.sg

ThinkEnglish
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by ThinkEnglish » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:08 am

My toddler son is very talkative at home (he knows a lot of words, is able to communicate using sentences, sings and dances), but he clams up when he's at school and with strangers and friends and relatives that we seldom meet. He is very quiet when we are out, so we've had people actually asking us if he has learnt how to talk yet. Although there's no problem in being an introvert, he's often told by others that he's shy, and my wife and I are concerned that it may affect his self-image.

I hope I'm not being too kiasu here, but I would like to send him for some activities that can help him to open up. Although I'm a trained teacher, early childhood education is not my forte. However, I believe that his initial shyness can be overcome once he's more confident. Will appreciate any recommendations of suitable classes for toddlers.

HRN
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by HRN » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:46 am

Hi All,

My LO has been doing Speech and Drama with their school and the external teacher is very good. I heard she does Speech and Drama lessons outside as well. Do let me know if you would like her contact.

irrrlyn
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by irrrlyn » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:19 pm

ThinkEnglish wrote:My toddler son is very talkative at home (he knows a lot of words, is able to communicate using sentences, sings and dances), but he clams up when he's at school and with strangers and friends and relatives that we seldom meet. He is very quiet when we are out, so we've had people actually asking us if he has learnt how to talk yet. Although there's no problem in being an introvert, he's often told by others that he's shy, and my wife and I are concerned that it may affect his self-image.

I hope I'm not being too kiasu here, but I would like to send him for some activities that can help him to open up. Although I'm a trained teacher, early childhood education is not my forte. However, I believe that his initial shyness can be overcome once he's more confident. Will appreciate any recommendations of suitable classes for toddlers.

Hi, I would like to just share that if anyone is to comment that your child is shy, it would be best to respond that "He just needs more courage and confident to speak up." "Shy" is a shame word and hurts children emotionally, if used over prolonged period, it will hinder the child's self confidence and self esteem.
As parents, we have the responsibility to protect our children from any form of abuse. Shaming and naming constitutes to emotional abuse and should not be tolerated.
There are many reasons for claming up in school; separation anxiety, lack of confidence, inadequate readiness for childcare are some of the possible factors. You may wish to have a word with his childcare teachers on his behaviour and interaction with other children in school. It would also be helpful to talk to the child on how you can help him to be more confident when he is out. With more encouragement, I believe he will open up slowly. Remember that patience is key.
IMHO, this is not the time to send him for any classes as it may increase his anxiety since he is not ready to interact with strangers as yet.

ThinkEnglish
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by ThinkEnglish » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:23 am

irrrlyn wrote: Hi, I would like to just share that if anyone is to comment that your child is shy, it would be best to respond that "He just needs more courage and confident to speak up." "Shy" is a shame word and hurts children emotionally, if used over prolonged period, it will hinder the child's self confidence and self esteem.
As parents, we have the responsibility to protect our children from any form of abuse. Shaming and naming constitutes to emotional abuse and should not be tolerated.
There are many reasons for claming up in school; separation anxiety, lack of confidence, inadequate readiness for childcare are some of the possible factors. You may wish to have a word with his childcare teachers on his behaviour and interaction with other children in school. It would also be helpful to talk to the child on how you can help him to be more confident when he is out. With more encouragement, I believe he will open up slowly. Remember that patience is key.
IMHO, this is not the time to send him for any classes as it may increase his anxiety since he is not ready to interact with strangers as yet.
'

Thank you for the insight! I agree with you on the harmful effects of labelling. When someone calls my son "shy", I usually share that he's not talking because he needs time to warm up to people that he doesn't see often. Will wait for a time when he's more ready before sending him for enrichment.

Learning_Love_Mummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Learning_Love_Mummy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:53 pm

Hi Parents,
i was tried to look around speech and drama course nearby CCK, but it was hardly found.
any recommendation?

Fattymummy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Fattymummy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:56 pm

My son used to attend extra speech and drama enrichment class in his childcare but I was surprised when the teacher gave me feedback that she thinks my child has problem speaking as he always answered one word to her when ever she forced him to talk. Problem was actually my son has been able to speak in full sentences at home and I gathered that as a speech and drama teacher, she was not very well-trained and I pulled my son out of the class. My child was not comfortable with her. After that I put him in act3 and it was certainly very effective. He did very well in school show and tell and even school teachers have remarked that he is vocal and expressive in school. He was even selected for the school play. I think still need to go to the experts like act3, I don’t trust those vendors engaged by childcare centers.

Fattymummy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Fattymummy » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:16 pm

http://act3international.com.sg They recently opened a branch in oasis terrace so can go try out. I see huge huge improvement for my son.

shoppingger@gmail.com
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by shoppingger@gmail.com » Wed May 08, 2019 11:52 am

hello! any reviews or experience with Julia Gabriel speech and drama class? greatly appreciate any response