European Upright Pianos under $10K

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

European Upright Pianos under $10K

Postby sautille » Wed May 02, 2012 11:17 pm

Would like to seek advice on affordable European upright pianos. Budget is $8K-$10K. Main purpose is to accompany violinist kids at diploma level.

Currently, I have only tried Bohemia 125 & 132 and found them ok and affordable. But would like to explore more options. Any recommendations for/against Bohemia 125/132 or other makes?

Any input/feedback/pointer is much appreciated :smile:

sautille
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: European Upright Pianos under $10K

Postby KKKS » Thu May 03, 2012 9:24 pm

sautille wrote:Would like to seek advice on affordable European upright pianos. Budget is $8K-$10K. Main purpose is to accompany violinist kids at diploma level.

Currently, I have only tried Bohemia 125 & 132 and found them ok and affordable. But would like to explore more options. Any recommendations for/against Bohemia 125/132 or other makes?

Any input/feedback/pointer is much appreciated :smile:

There are not many options of European Pianos within your budget. Perhaps you may want to try Hoffmann-V120 at Cristofori, Petrof at Pianomaster, Chiu's Piano has a few nice pianos that you may find interesting.

KKKS
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby iRabbit » Thu May 03, 2012 11:47 pm

Who sells Bohemia pianos here? I know Bohemia also has upright models and I'm guessing that the price range should be close to Petrof since both are Czech made.

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Intermezzo » Fri May 04, 2012 8:18 am

i heard a Bohemia at Gramercy Piano (Tanjong Katong). The sound is quite nice but a little "muffled" to me..

for pianos of comparable price range i also prefer Petrof or Hoffmann ~

Intermezzo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sautille » Sat May 05, 2012 8:45 am

Many thanks to all who replied!

I tried Bohemia in Gramercy. Will check out what's available at Chiu Piano too :smile:

sautille
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby sautille » Sun May 06, 2012 11:58 pm

I was at Chiu Piano in Thomson Plaza today. Learned that British Kemble is now made in Indonesia and American Kohler & Campbell is now made in Korea. All other European-made upright pianos there are >$20K. Looks like I need to pay Petrof dealer a visit :smile:

sautille
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby rinakurniadi » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:40 pm

Hi sautille
have you got your piano? Would you mind sharing which one did yoi get?
I called gramercy but they told me that bohemia upright is no longer in production?!

rinakurniadi
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby sautille » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:02 pm

Hi rinakurniadi,

Unfortunately, I haven't found one that I like & can afford. I tried Petrof P135, P125 and P122. In terms of sound and touch, I like P125 the best but the price tag is >$12K.

I then tried Rösler (can't remember the model) but soon gave up because, for some reasons, the keys were really heavy.

I also tried Hoffman 120, which is currently on promotion at $10K. The sound is brighter than Petrof but the action is not as refined and responsive. I played Ravel's Toccata on it and had problems with the repeated notes (which I did not have when I played on the Bechstein next to it). Granted my technique is rusty but this is precisely why I need all the help I can get from the piano :rotflmao: BTW, I heard some parts of Hoffman were from China so strictly speaking, it is not quite a pure European piano.

Looks like my dream of owning a European piano under $10K is not so realistic after all.

sautille
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Dreamaurora » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:29 pm

sautille wrote:Hi rinakurniadi,

Unfortunately, I haven't found one that I like & can afford. I tried Petrof P135, P125 and P122. In terms of sound and touch, I like P125 the best but the price tag is >$12K.

I then tried Rösler (can't remember the model) but soon gave up because, for some reasons, the keys were really heavy.

I also tried Hoffman 120, which is currently on promotion at $10K. The sound is brighter than Petrof but the action is not as refined and responsive. I played Ravel's Toccata on it and had problems with the repeated notes (which I did not have when I played on the Bechstein next to it). Granted my technique is rusty but this is precisely why I need all the help I can get from the piano :rotflmao: BTW, I heard some parts of Hoffman were from China so strictly speaking, it is not quite a pure European piano.

Looks like my dream of owning a European piano under $10K is not so realistic after all.

Hmm, if you can play Ravel Toccata then you must be an LTCL/LRSM/BMus/BA grad right? Then surely your current piano must be good enough right and costing 10K above? Quite puzzled.

Dreamaurora
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby rinakurniadi » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:57 pm

Thank for sharing sautille. Like dreamaurora, i am too puzzled now.
Abt being the european piano.. how to check then?!
Btw, have you ever consider Korean instead of Japanese?
Saw an Albert Weber 131 cm at Cristofori, made by Youngchang.
I thought Yamaha u3 (or kawai k5) is highly overpriced in comparison to this one..
On the other hand, Yamaha may retain better resale value and sustain more quality over time (maybe?)

rinakurniadi
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama