Yamaha vs. ABRSM

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Yamaha vs. ABRSM

Postby georgewong22 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:33 am

I am considering to enrol my children, a 5 yo and a 7 yo into a music programme. We attended one of Yamaha's trial classes - one for the younger and CEC I think for the older.

The former is a 2 year programme where a parent has to be present.

During the Q&A, a parent mentioned ABRSM and I am just wondering how it is different with Yamaha.

Which is a better programme? Some music schools claim it is not necessary and the children may just choose an instrument and learn it.

Thank you and best regards.

georgewong22
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Yamaha vs. ABRSM

Postby phankao » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:43 am

georgewong22 wrote:I am considering to enrol my children, a 5 yo and a 7 yo into a music programme. We attended one of Yamaha's trial classes - one for the younger and CEC I think for the older.

The former is a 2 year programme where a parent has to be present.

During the Q&A, a parent mentioned ABRSM and I am just wondering how it is different with Yamaha.

Which is a better programme? Some music schools claim it is not necessary and the children may just choose an instrument and learn it.

Thank you and best regards.

ABRSM is an assessment board, just like Cambridge for O & A levels ? There are other schools that assess and give out grading/certification based on exams administered by them, like Trinity. Grades go from 1, 2, 3....until Grade 8 and then several diplomas.

Your child can take ABRSM exams even if he/she is taking classes at Yamaha or any other school.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby georgewong22 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:52 am

Thank you so much phankao, I understand now.

Yamaha's program is very "keyboard" centric and some suggests that if the keyboard is not something that the child fancies, I should just enroll in a course which teaches the instrument my children likes.

For my 5yo. Yamaha, because of her age, puts her into a 2 year with parent sit in program, music appreciation course before she moves on to choose the instrument of her liking. My 7yo. son on the other hand, will have to an Electone program Level 1. For both courses, parents are advised to buy a minimum 31 keys keyboard.

Yamaha claims it's the Yamaha proven way.

WHat I would really like to know if this is the best music progression program for kids? What if the children do not fancy the keyboard?

georgewong22
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama