viola

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

viola

Postby mamamiya » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:29 pm

Hi all,
Any one knows where to find good viola teachers? My boy is 3.5 years old and I am intending to send him to learn viola. But not too sure where to enroll him. Also, not sure what is a good age for him to start learning music.

mamamiya
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby fristrom » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:45 pm

Hi, pls check your PM :D

fristrom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: viola

Postby phankao » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:11 pm

mamamiya wrote:Hi all,
Any one knows where to find good viola teachers? My boy is 3.5 years old and I am intending to send him to learn viola. But not too sure where to enroll him. Also, not sure what is a good age for him to start learning music.

Why viola at that age? ... my son's tr is a viola tr but I really would recommend to start with violin first.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby snowz » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:17 pm

My dd's violin tr also plays viola. According to the tr, technique of playing the viola is exactly like playing the violin. The only difference is viola is bigger in size and of course heavier. For 3.5 yrs old, playing the violin should be more suitable. Just my opinion.

snowz
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby sashimi » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:44 pm

I'm not exactly and expert, but I know the viola is the comparatively less-known middle-child between the violins and the cellos, so its pitch is lower than the violins'.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, violists' scores often use the alto clef (middle line is C), rather than the treble clef, so the child might need to learn a 3rd clef? (after treble and bass).

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby phankao » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:04 pm

sashimi wrote:I'm not exactly and expert, but I know the viola is the comparatively less-known middle-child between the violins and the cellos, so its pitch is lower than the violins'.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, violists' scores often use the alto clef (middle line is C), rather than the treble clef, so the child might need to learn a 3rd clef? (after treble and bass).

That's right. The viola is just a 5-note pitch lower than the violin and uses the alto clef. Also, it is slightly larger.

But the technique of playing it is similar to the violin (unlike your comparision between violin//cello - the technique for those 2 are significantly different).

That's why I mention that most will still start learning with the violin and if they have interest to play the viola, they do so at an older age, say 8years old at least.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama