Mandarin Speech & Drama for 2-3yo

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Mandarin Speech & Drama for 2-3yo

Postby mrswongtuition » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:41 pm

Hi Parents,

My son is 2.5 yo now and he has shown an interest in speech and drama. He's very strong in his English therefore we are looking for Mandarin enrichments that he can join in.

We are looking for recommendations at the following areas:
- Punggol
- Seng Kang
- Hougang
- Serangoon
- Ang Mo Kio
- Bishan
- Yio Chu Kang

If you have any good recommendations, do let me know how are the lessons like and the fees.

I've tried looking around but most of them only take in children from 4years onwards. I'm very keen in letting my son attend such classes to let him pick up Mandarin and let him have some fun too.

Do email me at mrswong.tuition@gmail.com if you have any recommendations. Thank you.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby qingzi » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:13 pm

I have a good recommendation but not in your area tho. But you might wanna consider if you are left with no choice :idea:

Children's Arts Theatre at Kembangan (Kembangan Plaza, opp MRT - think you can google for their website) I can't remember if they accept 3 yr olds, but I remember seeing really young ones there. I happen to be their first batch of students back in 1988 :D

The principals are Yang Fan and Zhai Zhi Yu, they are veterans in the Chinese theatre circle. Yang Fan still does Mandarin TVC voice overs today. The environment is very cosy, loving, (the principals are husband and wife)... they learn basic Mandarin, poems, also dance and art and craft. They are so highly sought after that they do not advertise to the public at all. :D (they like to keep the classes small and comfortable)

Good luck!

qingzi
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby AgnesMM » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:53 pm

My daughter attended the said Chinese Speech and Drama School at a very young age too (think 2ish or 3). She is 7 this year, attending Molin but still wants to continue the Speech and Drama class. She enjoys the class very much.

Go take a look yourself!

AgnesMM
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:43 am

Any idea what the fees like & if parents need to accompany them during the class?

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby AgnesMM » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:21 am

For a start, we stayed on with our girl. In fact, after two classes, she is ok to be on her own - there are several teachers stationed around each corner and will advise if they feel kid is confident to do on their own. However, I do see some kids who are real "sticky" to their parents, so either dad and mom will have to stay put. But give them some time, they will be ok. They start off with gathering kids around in a circle (seated) for character recognition - fun way cos they sing along, followed by art & craft, and music & movement etc. fee-wise, best to check with them cos my girl is attending the creative writing course now - 2 hours, 10 sessions (think so), cost about $350. believe the younger ones are cheaper as duration shorter - 1.5 hours.

go bring your kid there and take a look - maybe do a trial lesson first and see how it goes.

AgnesMM
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby qingzi » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:43 pm

Yeah there are seats around for parents, though as Agnes said the teachers will advise when it is best to let your child be on his own (you can still sit outside and wait). If you prefer not to, there are more than enough teachers around to monitor your boy, and they are all very experienced and caring.

I stayed 6 years with them all the way till I was Sec 2, and thanks to them I got into Higher Chinese in sec sch (haha), and developed an interest for the arts (I am running my own theatre company now!). Yang Fan and Zhai Zhiyu are like 2nd parents to me, it is a great place to be in.

qingzi
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby AgnesMM » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:02 pm

My girl is doing higher chinese this year (p1) and is coping fine. Chinese Speech & Drama + Molin classes. I am a typical KS mom.

AgnesMM
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama