All About Music For Beginners & Selecting Instruments

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Violin or Piano?

Postby sunny » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:45 pm

I would like to let my gal who is 4 yr old+ learn one of the instruments. But, not sure if I should let her learn violin or piano.

May I know how you decide which instrument to let your kid learn? Which instrument should in fact be learnt first if the kid doesn't have any preference?

sunny
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:49 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby fristrom » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:03 pm

Have you ask her? There are so many instruments to choose from...

fristrom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:28 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby sunny » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:40 pm

fristrom wrote:Have you ask her? There are so many instruments to choose from...


she is not familiar with any instrument other than violin and piano. so, i guess, if i ask her, she wouldn't be able to tell me much...

sunny
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:49 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby fristrom » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:57 am

So between violin and piano, what does she like?

fristrom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:28 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby pinkapple » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:11 am

was between these two as well.

My son is going to be 4 next month.

He started him music classes with Siempi since 1year old and last year they start to introduce playing on the keyboard. while classmates all started playing, my son is not. He just doesn't want to play.
So I took him out of the class and thought want to start him on violin since he requested.

but I'm careful not to start him too early cos I think he's not ready and worry that once met with difficulty, he will give up on the instrument.

Now that he's going to be 4, I thought can start learning violin. but after reading a few thread here, most think it's easier to start learning piano before moving on to other instruments.

pinkapple
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:09 pm
Total Likes: 0



Postby violet04 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:08 am

pinkapple wrote:was between these two as well.

My son is going to be 4 next month.

He started him music classes with Siempi since 1year old and last year they start to introduce playing on the keyboard. while classmates all started playing, my son is not. He just doesn't want to play.
So I took him out of the class and thought want to start him on violin since he requested.

but I'm careful not to start him too early cos I think he's not ready and worry that once met with difficulty, he will give up on the instrument.

Now that he's going to be 4, I thought can start learning violin. but after reading a few thread here, most think it's easier to start learning piano before moving on to other instruments.



Hi Pinkapple,
I'm a part-time piano teacher who stay @Hougang. For Beginner $70, Grade 1 $80 & Grade 2 $100...The lesson fee is for 4 session, 45 min per session (30 min for Practical & 15 min for Theory). I also will assist you for ABRSM Practical & Theory Registraion. Let me know if u r interested.
>
> Regards,
> Violet Ang (h/p:813-813-77)

violet04
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:33 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby phankao » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:16 pm

pinkapple wrote: but after reading a few thread here, most think it's easier to start learning piano before moving on to other instruments.


Do you not think the child will be *spoilt* by the easiness of the piano before learning violin?

Violin really trains the hearing, but piano, as long as press the correct keys, it will be ok...

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 5647
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:52 pm
Total Likes: 6


Postby sunny » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:29 pm

fristrom wrote:So between violin and piano, what does she like?


in fact she has been learning violin for about 3 months. throughout the 3 months, she seldom takes initiative to learn. the teacher commented that we should let her join the group lesson 1st. and now, the teacher is going for further studies soon and will no longer teach my gal anymore.

for piano, we have a piano at home, sometimes she will sit in front of the piano and hit few notes to entertain herself.

so, i am thinking if i should take this chance to switch to piano lesson or still let her stick to violin. but few days ago, i asked her to play violin while i played piano with her, she enjoyed it a lot. *headache* really don't know which one to choose for her. :?

sunny
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:49 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby jce » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:56 pm

Piano is always a good instrument to start on as pinkapple mentioned cos the sound is more or less in-built (though eventually many other aspects come into play and that will coax out even better sounds from the existing piano), and piano skills is always a good thing to have, even if one is playing another instrument. From what I read, I think your daughter wants someone to play along with her ie she doesn't want to be playing alone, so since you know how to play the piano, perhaps she should continue learning the violin, and you can accompany her when she's learnt the pieces. Hopefully through this you can encourage her to learn the pieces well so that she gets to play with you.

jce
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:41 pm
Total Likes: 1


Postby sunny » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:06 pm

jce wrote:Piano is always a good instrument to start on as pinkapple mentioned cos the sound is more or less in-built (though eventually many other aspects come into play and that will coax out even better sounds from the existing piano), and piano skills is always a good thing to have, even if one is playing another instrument. From what I read, I think your daughter wants someone to play along with her ie she doesn't want to be playing alone, so since you know how to play the piano, perhaps she should continue learning the violin, and you can accompany her when she's learnt the pieces. Hopefully through this you can encourage her to learn the pieces well so that she gets to play with you.


thanks jce. :)

sunny
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:49 pm
Total Likes: 0


Next

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama