Instrumental school

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Instrumental school

Postby KS_me » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:14 am

Hi,

Anyone know of a music school that enable the kids to explore to different kind of instruments like guitar, piano, trumpet and so? I know most school conduct lesson for specific instrument like guitar lesson for a term... piano for a term and so on.. but it will be good if children has a chance to hands-on , play a sound from all kinds of instrument to know which one they like...

Thanks for your answer :love:

KS_me
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Instrumental school

Postby fristrom » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:53 pm

KS_me wrote:Hi,

Anyone know of a music school that enable the kids to explore to different kind of instruments like guitar, piano, trumpet and so? I know most school conduct lesson for specific instrument like guitar lesson for a term... piano for a term and so on.. but it will be good if children has a chance to hands-on , play a sound from all kinds of instrument to know which one they like...

Thanks for your answer :love:

Thristlesound (http://www.thistlesound.com/) had a "1-day-3-instrument" a few months ago but I am not sure whether it is one off or not.

With regards to choosing musical instrument:
- not sure how old your kid is but some instrument kids simply cannot start until they are much older (>6). Piano and violin seems to be the only mainstream instrument that kids can start early (~3-4)
- also not sure whether letting them play a sound of all kinds of instrument is a good idea... as there is a lot of difference between "playing" and really learning to play an instrument.

If your purpose is expose them to different sound, why don't you take them to concerts? Get some classical CD to listen?

fristrom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Instrumental school

Postby KS_me » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:33 am

fristrom wrote:Thristlesound (http://www.thistlesound.com/) had a "1-day-3-instrument" a few months ago but I am not sure whether it is one off or not.

With regards to choosing musical instrument:
- not sure how old your kid is but some instrument kids simply cannot start until they are much older (>6). Piano and violin seems to be the only mainstream instrument that kids can start early (~3-4)
- also not sure whether letting them play a sound of all kinds of instrument is a good idea... as there is a lot of difference between "playing" and really learning to play an instrument.

If your purpose is expose them to different sound, why don't you take them to concerts? Get some classical CD to listen?

Hi fristoom,
Thank you very much for you reply.

I've 2 boys, age 4 and 7. I've quite a number of classical CD that they've been listening to however, thru' the player, they both don't seem to be very interested on "what makes the tune/sound"...

For my younger boy, I'm looking around for violin or piano but I do not want to have the academy or level/grade that tied to the lesson. I just want him to go there and have fun. I've been to yamaha.... cristoforri.. erhm.... not so to my liking. I will continue to search around...

As for my elder son, I've exposed him to guitar. He likes the sounds but he feels the pain everytime pressing on the strings to play the sound. So he kind of give up. Maybe will let him pick up again when he is bigger.

Anyway, thank you very much for your response! :)

KS_me
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby fristrom » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:03 pm

For your 4 yrs old, you can try Edvox Funtime DoReMe program, in which they teach 6 months of keyboard and 6 months of violin. Not sure about the content/quality of the course but don't think they have exams/grades attached. Personally, I think 4 is still too young for picking up an instrument: so why not some music appreciation course like kindermusik?

For your 7 yrs old, string instruments tend to be difficult to learn, and he is probably too young for the wind instruments. If your idea is to expose him to music, why not harmonica or recorder? They are relatively easy to pick up. What about drums? What about Chinese musical instruments?

fristrom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Pleasing Sounds » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Pleasing Sounds is an organisation of professionally trained musicians who have received tutelage from members of the Singapore Symphony Orchestra.

We offer private theory and practical lessons on Trumpet and Saxophone and are able to prepare students for the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (ABRSM) Grade 1-5 examinations.

Please view the link provided for more details, and we hope to be of service to you.

Thank you!

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum/viewtopic.php?p=52907#52907

Pleasing Sounds
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby thistlesound » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:19 pm

Hello. Thank you for recommending Thistlesound Music School. Currently we are running a promotion of a 30min Trial lesson for only S$15 (excluding GST).

Music Courses we offer: Violin, Piano, Flute, Guitar, Vocal as well as music appreciation class for children as young as 18months. PM me if you need more info. :)

thistlesound
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby phankao » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:18 pm

thistlesound wrote:Hello. Thank you for recommending Thistlesound Music School. Currently we are running a promotion of a 30min Trial lesson for only S$15 (excluding GST).

Music Courses we offer: Violin, Piano, Flute, Guitar, Vocal as well as music appreciation class for children as young as 18months. PM me if you need more info. :)

Oh, how interesting...I'm going to check out your website.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Koi » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:57 pm

Hi KS-me, my child had tried the Edvox's Funtime Doreme program. He enjoyed it tremendously and we received a free keyboard and free violin.. haha save up the money for other purchases :lol:

Roughly the course is a 1hour group class whereby they learn to play both the violin and keyboard. I was also looking for a school which exposes young children to various instruments as I was afraid if I start him on Piano or Violin immediately my child will give up easily or ask for another instrument to try halfway.

They also teach in the class other music foundations like singing, movement, music theory flashcards and games etc. My son enjoyed it. :D

Koi
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby KS_me » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:50 pm

Koi wrote:Hi KS-me, my child had tried the Edvox's Funtime Doreme program. He enjoyed it tremendously and we received a free keyboard and free violin.. haha save up the money for other purchases :lol:

Roughly the course is a 1hour group class whereby they learn to play both the violin and keyboard. I was also looking for a school which exposes young children to various instruments as I was afraid if I start him on Piano or Violin immediately my child will give up easily or ask for another instrument to try halfway.

They also teach in the class other music foundations like singing, movement, music theory flashcards and games etc. My son enjoyed it. :D

Thanks for sharing. Which branch is your son attending? Thanks.

KS_me
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama