All About Piano Theory Examinations

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Piano Theory

Postby monmon31 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:27 pm

Hi ,

It is necessary for the kids to take all Theory exams? Otherwise what would be the recommended stages? My DS has just taken his Grade 1 Theory Paper.

monmon31
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SnowieBob » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:14 pm

Hi,

It is not necessary to take all grades for theory. My recommendations for my students are grade 3 & grade 5, if the parents didn't request for all grades. Grade 5 is the compulsory one because you need it for higher grade practical. However it depends on students understanding and practical pace. Naturally some teachers will wan to make sure the students learning and ask them to go for exams. Personally i feel grade 1 & 2, past year papers are sufficient.

SnowieBob
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Piano Theory

Postby titank » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:28 pm

famangelina31 wrote:Hi ,

It is necessary for the kids to take all Theory exams? Otherwise what would be the recommended stages? My DS has just taken his Grade 1 Theory Paper.

It would depends on the piano teacher recommendations where see whether theory is necessary. If can skip why not as can save a couple of $$! :lol: Just go for practical exam where have the exposure.

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Piano Practical

Postby monmon31 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:35 pm

SnowieBob wrote:Hi,

It is not necessary to take all grades for theory. My recommendations for my students are grade 3 & grade 5, if the parents didn't request for all grades. Grade 5 is the compulsory one because you need it for higher grade practical. However it depends on students understanding and practical pace. Naturally some teachers will wan to make sure the students learning and ask them to go for exams. Personally i feel grade 1 & 2, past year papers are sufficient.

Thanks. A couple of people I asked gave me differing views but most of them says it is ok to skip n then take Grade 3 like u. What about practical exams then?

Thought of signing DS up for Grade 2 practical exams.

monmon31
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SnowieBob » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:24 pm

Welcome.
Practical exams must depends on more factors. Her techniques, rhythmic sense and amount of practice too. Most of my students go grade 2 to start off. However if they are very shy and afraid of failure, I ask them to go for grade 1, because at their level of playing, the rate of getting merit and dist is higher which will also gain their confidence. This will make them feel more sense of achievement and willing to go more exams instead of stressing.

But if students are weak to start with, I suggest not to rush for exams. Music is not all about qualifications too, esp young children, getting the interest is very important for them to continue far if they want :)

SnowieBob
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jce » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:42 pm

If the child is relatively young, theory grade 1 is recommended to start off. Same reason as in the practical, grade 1 is relatively easy to score and hence give the child a boost in confidence. After that, theory can skip to 3 but must still go through the motions of doing 2 though not the exam. Can choose to take or forgo the exam in 3 and head off to 5. Again, via 4.

Practical, as Snowiebob adviced, really depends on individual. Some can skip whilst others can't. The goal here is not "who can reach grade 8 first" but rather "who has the standard of a true grade 8".

jce
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby monmon31 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:36 am

jce wrote:If the child is relatively young, theory grade 1 is recommended to start off. Same reason as in the practical, grade 1 is relatively easy to score and hence give the child a boost in confidence. After that, theory can skip to 3 but must still go through the motions of doing 2 though not the exam. Can choose to take or forgo the exam in 3 and head off to 5. Again, via 4.

Practical, as Snowiebob adviced, really depends on individual. Some can skip whilst others can't. The goal here is not "who can reach grade 8 first" but rather "who has the standard of a true grade 8".

My DS is 8 this year and has just taken Grade 1 Theory. So likely I will go as per advise to run through but skip Theory 2 but definitely will be taking Practical 2.

He does not have the talent from the way I see it. :wink: We used to join Yamaha JMC/JXC, you could clearly see who are the talented ones. With his foundation at JMC/JXC, i am assuming it would be ok to skip to practical 1. ( I personally have no musical background)

I totally agree with you. If my son ever reaches Grade 8, it is more like getting there and not really having the standard of true grade 8.

monmon31
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby LLK » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:50 pm

SnowieBob wrote:Welcome.
Practical exams must depends on more factors. Her techniques, rhythmic sense and amount of practice too. Most of my students go grade 2 to start off. However if they are very shy and afraid of failure, I ask them to go for grade 1, because at their level of playing, the rate of getting merit and dist is higher which will also gain their confidence. This will make them feel more sense of achievement and willing to go more exams instead of stressing.

But if students are weak to start with, I suggest not to rush for exams. Music is not all about qualifications too, esp young children, getting the interest is very important for them to continue far if they want :)

my niece has piano grade 8 for practical (high distinction) and just took her grade 8 theory exam recently. She is just 14 years old and her parents now wonder if she should go further to obtain the diploma. My niece is from a top school and very busy with school works and CCA. Any advice pls?

LLK
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby csb » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:27 pm

Hi, I saw from the ABRSM website that the theory exam is 2 hours. When I look at the past year theory examination papers, there are 4 papers/sections (A, B, C, S) of 2 hr each. Or are all 4 to be completed in 2 hours? Sorry if this is too fundamental a question. Ds hasn't taken any theory exams before.

csb
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby SnowieBob » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:42 pm

csb wrote:Hi, I saw from the ABRSM website that the theory exam is 2 hours. When I look at the past year theory examination papers, there are 4 papers/sections (A, B, C, S) of 2 hr each. Or are all 4 to be completed in 2 hours? Sorry if this is too fundamental a question. Ds hasn't taken any theory exams before.

Hi,
The A, B, C, S are papers for practice. As for the real theory exam, is one of the paper(eg: paperA) for 2 hours. So 1 booklet has 4 papers for practice

SnowieBob
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama