Music for Young Children (MYC) - Discussion

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Music for Young Children (MYC) - Discussion

Postby Serendipity » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:49 pm

Hi, does anyone have feedback regarding the MYC (Music for Young Children) programme? It looks like a good programme to build a good music foundation for kids and for parents with zero music background like me to learn alongside them. Would appreciate any feedback on the programme, esp the one at the Jurong East branch.

I'm actually hoping to sign my child up for a Sunrise class (for 2 - 3 yrs old) at MYC @ Jurong East. Class time is tentatively around 4 or 5pm on Sundays. Currently need one more child to sign up(making at least 3 students) before they start the class.
If anyone is interested, can contact Ms Sannly at Tel: 6100 1316 / jurongeast@mycsingapore.com.sg
She's a helpful lady.
Can also visit these websites for more info:
http://www.myc.com
http://www.mycsingapore.com

Serendipity
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

MYC

Postby gigue » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:50 pm

Hi Serendipity,
Welcome to the forum! :)

My kid is taking the Sunrise Class, first term, at JE at the moment. I would say that the curriculum currently focuses mainly on music appreciation, and experiencing basic music concepts like fast/slow, loud/soft and introduction to pitch and note values. It's largely song-based, and so, the kids go through quite a number of songs each lesson. New songs will be introduced, and older songs re-learnt. The pace of the lessons is quite brisk.

Usually at the end of each class, there is homework to be done - usually craft work, where students make little teddy bear to reinforce the concept they learn, and to use it as props for songs. I find that quite a good idea, as my boy enjoys singing the songs relating to the teddy bear.

Hope this is helpful!

gigue
http://all-things-piano.blogspot.com

gigue
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Serendipity » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:40 am

Hi gigue,

Thanks for your feedback! Greatly appreciate it...
Sounds like the programme's suitable for my child who loves songs. :)
Is there music & movement in the class too?
How is the teacher? Is he/she good?
Really hope that the new class can start soon!

Serendipity
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

MYC

Postby gigue » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:04 am

Hi Serendipity,

You're welcome. :)

If your child likes songs, then, this is good because each set of materials for each term comes with around 20+ songs. They come with an accompanying CD for the child and parents to listen to during the week, to reinforce his/her learning.

Music and Movt - there is some, but I would say that it is not the only strategy used. The other strategies include simple percussion instrument playing (claves, bells) and use of props (such as stars glued on sticks, etc.)

Teacher is professional, and has interesting teaching aids to engage the students. :)

gigue

gigue
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Serendipity » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:10 am

Thanks gigue!
With your positive feedback, I think I can rest assured that I've made the right choice. I'm certainly looking forward to the class when it opens!

Serendipity
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

MYC

Postby gigue » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:14 am

Hi Serendipity,
You're welcome. :)

gigue

gigue
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby eyktay » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:42 am

Hi all,

This is an old thread & am reviving, any recent feedback pls?
I'm not muscially trained, so need to know more, thanks much in advance!

eyktay
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Serendipity » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:46 am

Hi eyktay,

My child's now gone on to the Sunshine class, and she's enjoying it. So far so good. I'm not musically trained too, so I'm learning along with her actually!

Serendipity
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby eyktay » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:05 am

Serendipity wrote:Hi eyktay,

My child's now gone on to the Sunshine class, and she's enjoying it. So far so good. I'm not musically trained too, so I'm learning along with her actually!

Thanks for your prompt feedback. How old is your child now?
She looks forward to the class? Duration of each lesson? Cost?

eyktay
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Serendipity » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:14 am

My child's 4 now. And yes, she's happy to go to her music class, which I'm glad for. Each lesson's 1h long and would usually include some games, singing, solfege, music note learning and keyboard playing.

I can't quite recall the cost offhand though. You could give the centre a call and check? :)

Serendipity
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama