Piano too loud

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Piano too loud

Postby ngl2010 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:48 pm

Yesterday our neighbour complained that our piano sound is too loud. It was 9 pm. DS was practising his pieces for March exam.

Is there any rules until what time we can play piano? We want to be considerate to our neighbours but at the same time DS needs to practice at night because he got back from school at 4pm. After resting and doing his homework and dinner, he only has time to practice piano at night.

Our piano is upright piano. Other than putting a rug under the piano, what other things can we do to dampen the sound?

Thank you in advance,

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Piano too loud

Postby Tabby » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:51 pm

You can put a thin mattress between the piano and the wall, that will soften it a lot. And of cos use the soft pedal to practise at night.

Tabby
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby jedamum » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:07 pm

Soft pedal practice is not the same.
Maybe you can practice before homework if you want him to practice everyday regardless of homework load?
Hope your situation will get better.
For us, we try to practice after 10am or before 8pm, my p1 in afternoon session. When we just bought the piano, I was also very concern with the noise. I read that a lot of the sound came from the back (sound board?) So we position the piano to face a wall facing outside instead of next door neighbour. Not sure if it helps. We are lucky that my downstairs neighbour is somewhat friends as our kids go to the same school and we rendered them some help recently.
My husband is the one who complains of the loud noise, so I have to try to get kid to practice before he comes home, or my husband will use ear phones connected to his game to block/dampen the not so nice amateur playing :sweat:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby happyheart » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:21 pm

We have a house rule to practise piano only after 9am or before 9pm. During night practice, I will close all the windows to minimise sound travelling out. So far, we have been blessed with neighbours that are rather tolerant hence no complaint :lol:

happyheart
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby waiyean » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:21 pm

You can put on a full piano cover while practising. That will reduce the sound significantly. Close all windows and doors, turn on the aircon. It is unlikely the neighbours will find it too loud. We play the piano beyond 9pm everyday, so far no one has complained.

waiyean
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jce » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:00 am

Don't practice with the soft pedal down, in fact should not practice with anything that'll dampen the sound though it's ok to close the window, rug under the piano, soundboard facing a certain way. The reason for this is because the teacher wants the student to listen to the sound/tone that's being produced when he/she is playing in a certain way, if you hamper the sound then this can't be achieved and hence the student won't be able to execute with precision what the teacher wants.

jce
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jce » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:07 am

I think generally as long as practice is done by 930pm it's acceptable.

NGL2010, is it because your DS's playing on the piano was too loud? In other words, sorry for being crude, was he hammering on the piano? Did you find it loud? Also, some pianos are brighter than others, some shrill and that can be rather piercing. Try explaining to your neighbour that your DS's exam is just round the corner so he may be putting in a few more late night practices than normal, I am sure they'd understand.

jce
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Sun_2010 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:08 am

My neighbour's daughter plays the piano. When I hear it, I go and open my door fully. My only complaint, she doesnt play often enough. Yes she plays very well. :rahrah:

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bebebub » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:21 am

i find the closing of windows and doors help quite a bit. Get your kid to practice with and without closing them, while you stand outside your unit or even downstairs, and feel the difference.

The sound of our previous (very old) piano was rather "bright". I only realised the difference after changing it to this current one.

I suppose most people don't mind listening to the pieces, but hearing endless practices of scales may be a different story. This can happen when you hv a number of kids practising piano in the same estate :wink:

bebebub
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Always21 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:22 am

When my boy plays the piano, I always asked him to turn on the air-con. It helps as he can hear himself better and also will not get any complain from neighbour.

During the examination, the room is also sound proof. Just want him to get use to it.

Always21
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama