should I stop the keyboard lesson

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

should I stop the keyboard lesson

Postby little patrick » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:32 pm

Hi dear parents

My son has learning his keyboard since last year when he was k2. He was P1 this year and morning session, after school would go to student care centre, so by the time he reach home, finished his dinner almost 8pm, then start doing his unfinish homework. He does not have much time left for practising his keyboard everyday. Even he has time also does not feel to "touch" the keyboard. This I can understand, like most of adult, after work just want to sit down and relax..... read newspaper, tv etc

So end up every saturday need to rush to practise the song once or two time before go for the lesson. This is the problem we faced when he was in P1, we need to keep on reminding him "go to practise the keyboard", but he look not vey keen yet not allow us to terminate the lesson. He told us he want to continue the keyboard lesson but practise the keyboard he felt very boring.... I had checked with his teacher, progress overall is ok, just lack of practise, the song was not smooth....

Hope someone can advise me, should I go ahead to terminate my son keyboard lesson without asking him.

Thanks in advance

little patrick
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby hquek » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:43 pm

If he likes the lesson, why not continue?

My son (K1) is learning keyboard also but probably his timetable not as tight.

Similar to your son, by the time mine gets home, it could be about 8pm. Usually I try to steal time daily to practise, about 5/10 min each time (either after he is home, or in the morning if we have time before we have to leave for school). Each time, I will ask him to either practise what the teacher had gone through (if he's comfortable with all the songs), or I may ask him to concentrate on the weaker portions.

Having more frequent sessions with shorter timespan allows him to keep his fingers nimble. I find that he will lose touch if he doesn't touch the keyboard at least once a week (eg, like if we go on holiday).

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby little patrick » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:24 pm

Hi hquek

My husband and I really do not know whether my son has the interest in learning the keyboard or not. We have the same thinking, if he does not has the interest we should not force him. His reaction showed us that he does not has much of interest but on another hand he still want to continue.

little patrick
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby schellen » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:41 pm

My DD started when she was in K1/K2. She is now in P1 too, and single session. However, she goes to after sch care so by the time we get home, it'll be almost 8pm. Like what hquek wrote, we (mostly DH) supervise her practice everyday for about 10-15 minutes. Usually she needs to practise 1-2 pieces plus theory per week. Her lessons are on Saturdays. Whenever she starts learning a new piece, it is always difficult because her sight-reading skills aren' t really that good. She may whine and protest but we persevere and eventually she gets it and starts enjoying the piece. Sometimes, we try to help by finding the pieces online/from our CD collection for her to listen to or if possible, we play the melody for her. This helps cos she seems to play better by ear rather than by sight (kinda like me).

You should try to find out why your son is reluctant to practice (other than wanting free time to relax) and yet still resistant to quitting. From what you have described, he doesn't seem to enjoy it.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama