Trinity rock & pop for guitar

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Trinity rock & pop for guitar

Postby iRabbit » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:48 pm

I'm trying to cajole ds to take up guitar pop lessons. Found out that for guitar classical, it's ABRSM for exams; for pop, it's Trinity.

Anyone's kid taking Trinity? Does your kid enjoy it? Also, at what grade does the electric guitar replace acoustic guitar for practice? Thanks.

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Trinity rock & pop for guitar

Postby schweppes » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:25 pm

FQW wrote:I'm trying to cajole ds to take up guitar pop lessons. Found out that for guitar classical, it's ABRSM for exams; for pop, it's Trinity.

Anyone's kid taking Trinity? Does your kid enjoy it? Also, at what grade does the electric guitar replace acoustic guitar for practice? Thanks.

Erm... not sure if it's necessary to take guitar lessons leading to ABRSM or Trinity certification. Just wondering, is there a need to? Unless you want to use the certification for a purpose later on? Will having to practice for exams detract the joy from music appreciation?

dd2 was always interested in learning the guitar. But what with school, cca and tuition, we could never find time for guitar even though her interest is there.

So, when she found out that there's a guitar club in school, she was happy to join the club. Being in the guitar club does not lead to any certification. Students have to practice to take part in SYF or Christmas/ school recitals and performances.

I guess, in not having to practice for exam purpose, it made playing the guitar enjoyable. It became an outlet for her to unwind and relax. She wd download music scores from the Internet - the likes of Taylor Swift, Bruno Mars and Jason Mraz, etc - and just strum and sing along.

Sometimes she and daddy have a jam session with each other. :love:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby iRabbit » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:20 pm

I find it such an uncanny coincidence our kids are so much alike. From books, to origami, and now guitar. I'm delighted to know that. :boogie:

Wrt certs, you know how old ds is. At his age, he needs a concrete goal before he's willing to put in effort. Like in his swimming tests, he did his shift as he told me he wanted to pass them the 1st time. After achieving swimsafer gold, he started to complain about body aches, headaches, bone pain and what not in subsequent lessons. But when I signed him up for long distance swimming test, those ailment vanished overnight and he's focused again.

It's for the reason above and the fact that he's too young to really gauge the quality of the teacher, that I tot it's better to go for certification.

For guitar, it's more of an exposure bcos guitar music is nice and best part is, it's portable. Could be in just for a couple of years of coaching, unless he wishes to continue.

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schweppes » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:07 pm

FQW wrote:I find it such an uncanny coincidence our kids are so much alike. From books, to origami, and now guitar. I'm delighted to know that. :boogie:

Wrt certs, you know how old ds is. At his age, he needs a concrete goal before he's willing to put in effort. Like in his swimming tests, he did his shift as he told me he wanted to pass them the 1st time. After achieving swimsafer gold, he started to complain about body aches, headaches, bone pain and what not in subsequent lessons. But when I signed him up for long distance swimming test, those ailment vanished overnight and he's focused again.

It's for the reason above and the fact that he's too young to really gauge the quality of the teacher, that I tot it's better to go for certification.

For guitar, it's more of an exposure bcos guitar music is nice and best part is, it's portable. Could be in just for a couple of years of coaching, unless he wishes to continue.

haha... now that u mentioned it, such coincidence!! Can understand what mean. Of course, u will know what motivates ur ds the best. Each kid is different. For my kiddos, TEST and EXAM are horrible 4-letter words that they have had enough of. :siam: haha.

Sorry, can't help u much with the certification part. Was just sharing about dd2's love for guitar appreciation. It's really a joy to watch her play. When they become more comfortable and confident, can easily switch from classical guitar to electric guitar. Before u know it, ds will be a babe magnet. haha... :boogie: :wink:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby iRabbit » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:49 pm

We have a guitar at home. Though ds will fiddle with it nightly (which led me to think he's keen), he just told me he's not interested to take up formal lessons. His sch teaches them simple playing techniques, and his satisfied with that for the moment.

Instead, he requested to take up something sporty when his swimming lessons end (thankfully it's not drums). :wink:

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Ramien Yew Jia Jun » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:16 pm

guitar the easiest things to learn in the world =D unless you play classical guitar

Ramien Yew Jia Jun
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama