Metronome

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Metronome

Postby 24601 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:01 pm

Dear parents,

wonder which type of metronome is better ? the analog type ( standing ones with the metal bar moving left to right) or those squarish digital cases ?

we just need one to keep time, and also need one with a bell function.

Pls advice where we can buy cheap and good ones (sigh...typical qn..hehehe)

Thanks !

YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby daisyt » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:30 pm

Haha, I can help you because not long ago, I was going around hunting for a digital one.

My girl used to have an analog one, used for about 5 years, still functioning well. Decided to change because its yellow in colour and she complained not matching with her new boyfriend - phantom. Hahaha her new piano lah. So i asked her teacher for opinion and she recommended digital. Went a few places to hunt, mostly made in China or Korea, about price range from $10+ to $50+. Seiko brand, made in Japan, about $100+. In Bras Brasah, there are a few big music instrument shops, they carry many different type of digital metronome. I bought mine @ Bras Brasah. Yamaha music shop and Kawaii do carry too but very limited on digital. Analog ones are more or less the same look type.

Another place, previously Les Meridian Hotel (beside Istana) there is a music shop that sells lots of music books and violin. But also quite limited choice.

Hope the above help ! :D

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby morse » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:56 pm

try bras basah..there's music shops there like swee lee and ranking sports.or you can try peninsula shopping centre too..there are some music shops at the basement level..

morse
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby 24601 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:08 pm

Thanks to both Daisy and Morse for your replies,

I went to buy an analogue one from synwin near paya lebar mrt stn. Somehow it seems simpler to use than those digital ones.

I used to have a digital tuner, but it either went out of tune or it just went bonkers...perhaps scared off digital ones by this episode.

YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Metronome

Postby csb » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:06 pm

24601 wrote:Thanks to both Daisy and Morse for your replies,

I went to buy an analogue one from synwin near paya lebar mrt stn. Somehow it seems simpler to use than those digital ones.

Hi, I'm looking for 1 too. I couldn't find Synwin from the yellowpages. Can I trouble you to provide some directions to the shop? Also, can I find out how much you paid for it? Thank you.

csb
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby clarabella » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:56 pm

If you get an analog one, don't drop it! Our brand new one couldn't keep time properly after it was dropped, and not from a great height either.
Another about analog metronomes, you gotta wind them up. Can be a pain sometimes if you're playing and it stops ticking. Also, they are much bigger than digital ones, not as unobtrusive.
Having said that, I still prefer analog to digital as I can't stand the 'tone' of the digital metronome, very flat and robotic lah.
Btw, I paid about SGD70 for my made-in-Japan metronome. I think there are cheaper ones from the Bras Basah music shops though.

clarabella
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby 24601 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:20 am

Hi CSB,

synwin is at Tanjong Katong Plaza(lvl 3), the textile shopping ctr opp Paya Lebar MRT.

u can google for synwin , sure to find it.

Price is $69.95... i think.

imho, somehow the look and feel of analogue metronomes beats those digital ones.

YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby sunny » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:52 pm

Hi
I am thinking whether to get a wooden casing (Wittner brand) or a plastic casing (Nikko Brand). Can anyone share your view?

sunny
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jce » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:42 am

Wittner is a long and trusted brand. My mum's Wittner has been with her for more than 40 yrs and is still going strong.

jce
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama