ABRSM Exams

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

ABRSM Exams

Postby chickensoup » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:56 am

How long it will take to get the result of ABRSM theory exam?

chickensoup
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Result of ABRSM theory exam

Postby Viv_piano » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:03 am

Based on my experience, my students usually receive their results in approximately 3 months.

Viv_piano
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Dreamaurora » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:18 am

You will be able to find out the result online 6 to 7 weeks from the exam date. But the actual cert and mark sheet will be sent by post only 2 or 3 months later.

Dreamaurora
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby chickensoup » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:34 pm

Viv_piano and Dreamaurora,

Thanks for both of you.

chickensoup
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby lwzh » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:52 am

Now the result already come out. I already got it online last week.

lwzh
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby happymom_aa » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:50 am

Is it easy to get distinction for G5 theory paper?
DS was disappointed that he did not get distinction for the paper, though he did well for all his past years paper.

happymom_aa
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Dreamaurora » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:02 am

happymom_aa wrote:Is it easy to get distinction for G5 theory paper?
DS was disappointed that he did not get distinction for the paper, though he did well for all his past years paper.

Well, if the past year papers he had been doing he had scored 90+ consistently then there is a good chance he would score distinction. But of course with all exams have to give a margin of error, so even if the result is a merit, it is still a good job. Some students find it even hard to even pass the grade 5, I heard of a student who failed grade 5 theory 3 times and still had not successfully passed it.

Dreamaurora
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lwzh » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:07 pm

My ds just got 90, this is his first time to take theory exam. I am happy with the result.

lwzh
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby peanut_butter » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:23 pm

Dreamaurora wrote:
happymom_aa wrote:Is it easy to get distinction for G5 theory paper?

Well, if the past year papers he had been doing he had scored 90+ consistently then there is a good chance he would score distinction. But of course with all exams have to give a margin of error, so even if the result is a merit, it is still a good job. Some students find it even hard to even pass the grade 5, I heard of a student who failed grade 5 theory 3 times and still had not successfully passed it.

I find the Grade 5 papers from certain years, like 2007 and 2010 much more challenging. But I do not know if ABRSM modulate the results.

In 'normal' years, it's easy to get distinction if the student is 1) careful, 2) memorize his musical terms, 3) achieve decent results in his/her school exams. After all, the exam board is not creative at writing questions.

peanut_butter
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jce » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:29 pm

I am very "stingy" when giving marks to my students so unless I am thoroughly happy with the answer given I wouldn't award full marks (the higher the grade the higher my expectations and the more "stingy" I get!). That way, if they can score well with my marking they should be ok with the final result. However, having said that, it's all down to the performance on the actual day. So far, I have only had two miscalculations - I expected both students to score around 90 but ended up in the mid 80s. Both girls were sitting for the same paper, same grade, and BOTH I miscalculated. Both scored exactly the same mark too, but thankfully, on different questions, otherwise I may question myself on whether I covered that topic well enough...

jce
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama