All About Guitars

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Western Music & Guitar class for 6 year old

Postby bsk » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:27 am

Hi,

I'm looking for a school which teaches Western Music & Guitar for my 6 yr old daughter. Appreciate your response

bsk
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Any good Guitar teacher to recommend?

Postby ddmiamia » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:14 pm

I am looking for a full-time qualified and good guitar teacher who can teach my son both advanced practical and theory either at my place or Sembawang area. Any teacher with track records to recommend?

Thank you.

ddmiamia
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Any good Guitar teacher to recommend?

Postby angel3750 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:31 am

I do not know where are you exactly from so not possible for me to suggest any teacher near to your location. If you kindly let me know the physical location then i might enlighten about guitar lessons or good Guitar teacher nearest to your location :)

angel3750
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ddmiamia » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:03 am

near Sembawang MRT

ddmiamia
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Western Music & Guitar class for 6 year old

Postby SingDadNZ » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:01 pm

Guitar is a great instrument for a child to learn. It is a portable, friendly instrument. You can entertain yourself and sling it over your shoulder and transport it to entertain your friend anywhere. They are not expensive and quite hardy. You also get invited to quite a lot of birthday parties. When you can play about 20 popular songs, you can busk on the street. Monies earned can be used for music tuition fees.
My son started his guitar lesson at age 5 and as soon as he could play 5 songs, I put him on the street to busk. Since then he had always paid for all his music tuitions. He is 7 years old now and he takes one to one lesson on grade 3 piano, grade 3 flute and a few other instruments. He can afford the classes and when he asks to learn a new instrument or attend a concert, I always oblige him. Busking build his confidents and improve his memory skills as he now play of memory about 50 songs. He has a growing fan base (see his fan page in face book < Jayden TJ >) and more offers are coming for private gig and shows. So go for it as learning guitar is a great base instrument to inject fun into music and the rest will follow as they will soon realize the joy of music.

Guitar is one of the most difficult instruments so don’t start your child on classical guitar until she has learn how to play happy birthday and few other songs and had some fun with the guitar first. :rahrah:

SingDadNZ
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby waiyean » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:32 pm

SingDadNZ wrote:Guitar is a great instrument for a child to learn. It is a portable, friendly instrument. You can entertain yourself and sling it over your shoulder and transport it to entertain your friend anywhere. They are not expensive and quite hardy. You also get invited to quite a lot of birthday parties. When you can play about 20 popular songs, you can busk on the street. Monies earned can be used for music tuition fees.

Hi SingDadNZ, you don't sound like you resides locally. The guitar is a wonderful instrument, and am glad to hear your son is enjoying it.
Guitar is one of the most difficult instruments so don’t start your child on classical guitar until she has learn how to play happy birthday and few other songs and had some fun with the guitar first. :rahrah:

I would think that the guitar is an extremely difficult instrument to learn for a child. Getting blisters on the fingers is normal, and it takes a lot of determination to persevere through. Hence I am not sure if that is a good first instrument a child should pick up to learn music. Moreover, the guitar doesn't train a child to sight-reads as well and learn music the way a keyboard does.

waiyean
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby SingDadNZ » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:29 pm

Well, your child is already equipped with an instrument - her voice. She would love to hear her voice in tune. A simple instrument like a guitar will completely change the way she will understand music with it key changes, harmonics and its backbeat rhythms. They will become an important part of her repertoire as she learns to become a better singer.

Singing has always been a part of our life. It is done in funerals, wedding and on happy and sad occasions. A singer is always the focal point in most social gathering. A singer, who plays an instrument, guitar/keyboard/drums etc, will find it much easier to get involved with other musicians and maybe even join a group. Additionally, many musicians find it difficult to take a singer seriously if they do not play an instrument as musicians have a language of their own. I know more about the lead singer of the Rolling Stone band and his life than the bass guitarist of the band.

The first song I encouraged my 5 year old son to play on the guitar was “happy birthday’ for his mother’s birthday. It has 3 basic chords and he was motivated to learn the song as he wants to contribute to the happy occasion. The kudos and back pats after he sang “happy birthday’ together with the big hugs and kisses his mom gave him on her birthday was enough to kick start his journey on entertaining people and himself. Next we started him off with a recorder as a way to learn music notes. It is a $12 instrument, hardy and fun to play and again, it is a portable instrument. When he was 6 years old and as his lungs got stronger he graduated to a flute and he will be sitting for his grade 3 flute exam at the end of the year. With the basic understanding on how to read notes we introduced him to the piano and let him sit for grade 1 exam and he passed it with distinction. This year he is doing his grade 3 exams and sight reading for the piano was a natural progression from his recorder music notes. Today he could sit in a rock concert or in an orchestra and he can enjoy both of them as he understands how the various instruments complement each other to bring music to our ears. Young teens talk more about Adele than Mozart, and if young teens understand the makings of Adele who live in the present time, then they will appreciate Mozart and its classics.

The path we took to introduce music to our son is not a blueprint for other families but it has some merits as we were able to plug into the experience of teaching music to children for the past 80 year in our city – The Saturday Music School -Dunedin NZ.

No matter how you do it, the child MUST enjoy learning music and your art of persuasion will go a long way when you next tell them the value of brushing your teeth and teaching them mathematics. :rahrah:

SingDadNZ
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby waiyean » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:19 pm

Wow SingDadNZ, you have an extremely talented son.
Learning the guitar at age 5 is already no small feat. He then followed that with learning the recorder and flute the next year. Then scored a distinction in grade 1 piano within less than a year of learning it..... And then jumped to grade 3 within half a year? And all through that.... also doing grade 3 for flute? And also has the time to busk, doing gigs, and earning money to pay for all the lessons? :udaman:

Rightfully said, yours is not a blueprint most parents can follow.

waiyean
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby SingDadNZ » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:25 pm

LOL. :lol: No, I am not the man :udaman: and my son is not talented, just hardworking. A typical week day for my son start at about 6am. At 6.30 we have a family devotion as we are Christians and we are more interested that he is a better Christian then and a better student. 7 to 7.30 is breakfast and 7.30 to 8.30 am are music practice time and if the weather is nice then it is golf practice and he is off to school. School finish at 3 pm. 3 to 4pm is chill out time and from 4 pm until bedtime at 8 is filled with any of the following activities: Ice skating, guitar lessons, flute lessons, dog walking, piano lessons, home work, church music, busking, Hip-hop dance lessons and math’s lessons and no TV. Bed time is a family affair with reading and thanksgiving. Saturday is devoted to music and busking, gigs etc and Sunday is church day and rest. MY wife and I have our own time from about 9.30 pm onwards.

We slow down in winter as it is cold with dark mornings and catch up on any short coming during summer as we have long days and it is bright until 10pm. We also use school holidays to catch up with his academic studies, go to church camps and a bit of traveling, mostly to Singapore to visit parents/grand parents.

Children need a structured life in the early years as they form habits by routines and we try to lead by example and walk the talk. Our aim is to build a solid music foundation by age 12 (grade 8 music) as school work will take precedence over music in secondary school. School subject will get harder and time spend on studying will be on a premium. When they are in their secondary school and in university, they can use their music grades to earn pocket money by giving music lessons and hopefully they will have a music CV strong enough to attract students.

That is our life and we are enjoying the journey with a grateful heart to God. :rahrah:

SingDadNZ
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Andrewaddison » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:38 pm

Andrewaddison
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama