K1/K2 in 2010 to start new Chinese S&D class (ex-sch tea

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

K1/K2 in 2010 to start new Chinese S&D class (ex-sch tea

Postby MMM » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:40 am

Hi,

My kids currently attend a chinese speech & drama class that is conducted by a ex-school teacher. She used to teach in my kids' school (SAP school) for 10+ years. She is a retiree and comes highly recommended by my kid's school chinese teacher for its effectiveness as compared to other chinese S&D programs. Her comments was based on the performance of those kids who attend the lesson conducted by this teacher. I was asking along the line of those class organised by hokkien assoc, etc... I heard she used to train the school chinese teachers in this area too (eg playing kuai ban,etc...) and has developed some students of national std in this area.

My P2 and P1 have only attended for 1 term, we observed that they enjoy the class tremendously, looks forward to it and has also picked up rou kou ling on their own. In the process, esp my P1, it "forces" him to recognise more chinese words as not every sheet has hypy. My objective for sending them to chinese S&D was to try to make sure they speak proper mandarin (emphasis on pronunciation) iso some english translated chinese sentences. This helps on gaining marks during oral exams. Another factor was to create their self-confidence of standing infront of a group of people and speak out.

Unfortunately, the teacher only does P1 onwards at this point. I am keen to let my current nursery going attend as seeing what my kids go through, I think it's more beneficial to start young so that they learn the correct pronunciation earlier. In speaking to the teacher yesterday, she said that if I can find 5-6 kids, she can consider starting a class for K1 and K2 (combine) in 2010. It will most likely be 45 mins since their attn span is shorter.

This teacher is currently conducting her class at Han Language at Katong. I am not too sure of the fees at this point but for my P1 and P2, we are currently paying $200 a term for 1 hour 15 mins class. So I assume the fees for K1 and K2 should not be more than $200 a term.

Pls ptely email me if you are keen. Currently, I think we've found 2 kids (including mine).

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Busymom » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:07 am

Hi MMM

Have pm you.

Busymom
Councillor
Councillor

Postby lims » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:41 pm

Hi MMM,

I'm keen too my boy next year would be K1...but location wise?

lims
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby MMM » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:03 pm

Hi,

The location wise will be at Fu Lu Shou.

Most likely it will be sunday 11.30am. (tentative)

We've about 4 currently. So still waiting to find at least 6 students before the teacher will consider forming a class.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby lims » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:34 pm

Hi MMM,

ok with the location n time....but i'm abit confuse....This class will be for K1 or K2....coz my boy has never attend any mandarin classes before.....

Cheers...

lims
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby MMM » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:49 pm

The teacher feel that it is fine to combine K1 and K2 together.

Out of the 4 students, 2 are also K1 next year. I am not sure about the other 2 as they registered their interest with the teacher for her to start a preschool class.

Note that S&D is more on the confidence building in speaking infront of a group of people, speaking good chinese with the perfect pronunciation, etc... so it is not that academic. It's objective is different.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby lims » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:26 pm

My boy is not confidence at speaking in Mandarin tat is y i tot of starting him with S&D before i can even tink of the read & write classes rite?

Can u check if she could with 5 kids ?....and while we wait for the 6th one ...i will try to ask ard....

lims
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby MMM » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:48 pm

Hi,

I've PM you. You might want to check your message.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby VooVoo » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:25 am

MMM, pm you. Are you still putting your N2 child at Molin on top of this Chinese S&D...?

VooVoo
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby MMM » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:31 am

Hi Voovoo,

Yes I am. The focus is different.

For Molin, this is more on the academic. Teacher focus on teaching the language but the focus might not be making sure they speak with perfect pronunication since some kids are even struggling with speaking the language in the 1st place.

For S&D, I hope that the teacher can guide her in speaking good mandarin especially the pronuniciation through the rao kou lin,etc.... Eg. the teacher commented that for my P2 girl, she pronunce hypy like phonics which is not right and it's quite difficult to correct her now. So i want my K1 gg next year to be taught the right thing earlier.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama