All About Piano Accessories

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Piano pedal extenders for kids

Postby ck123 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:23 pm

Hi

Does anyone knows where to get pedal extenders for piano in Singapore and what is the price?

Thanks

ck123
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Piano pedal extenders for kids

Postby kenlohwh » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:38 pm

I've called up Cristofori, Yamaha and Piano Master, but none of them sell any pedal extenders.

There are some sellers in the US but they limit their delivery to within there.

The closest I can find is at http://goo.gl/ZF9js. Has anyone purchased online from the seller before and if yes, how do you rate them?

kenlohwh
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby waiyean » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:25 am

kenlohwh wrote:I've called up Cristofori, Yamaha and Piano Master, but none of them sell any pedal extenders.

The closest I can find is at http://goo.gl/ZF9js. Has anyone purchased online from the seller before and if yes, how do you rate them?

Yes, purchased from them online, no problems.

It's strange that nobody is selling these extenders in Singapore. I would have thought that there will be a demand for them since the kids here are not big in size.

waiyean
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Dreamaurora » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:04 pm

waiyean wrote:
kenlohwh wrote:I've called up Cristofori, Yamaha and Piano Master, but none of them sell any pedal extenders.

It's strange that nobody is selling these extenders in Singapore. I would have thought that there will be a demand for them since the kids here are not big in size.

It puzzles me as well because there is a demand for it. I normally just ask my students' parents to purchase the extender from Taobao and then ship it to Singapore. Works out to around $180 per item.

I personally believe that young kids should be exposed to using pedals as soon as possible to expand their expression range on the piano. However, not all teachers share this view. A well-known local teacher that I know of is vehemently against the idea of children using pedal because she thinks children will not have the maturity to handle pedalling and use them to cheat instead.

Dreamaurora
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:35 pm

When must use pedal? My son finds w it difficult to coordinate. He is 6yo.he probably need an extender if really need to use pedal.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Dreamaurora » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:56 pm

jedamum wrote:When must use pedal? My son finds w it difficult to coordinate. He is 6yo.he probably need an extender if really need to use pedal.

If your son plans to take ABRSM, pedal usage is required by grade 5 even if the pedal markings are not written out in the score. But it is still possible to select pieces that require little or no pedal at this grade, though it will severely limits the choice of pieces available.

For lower grades, pedal usage is only required if the score explicitly states so. Most of the pieces from grade 1-4 can be played without pedal quite okay, though if pedal is available it will definitely enhance the musicality.

Dreamaurora
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby waiyean » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:57 pm

jedamum wrote:When must use pedal? My son finds w it difficult to coordinate. He is 6yo.he probably need an extender if really need to use pedal.

My daughter used it when she was 4 plus. Needed it as several of the grade 3 pieces requires the pedal and she can't reach them. So I shipped the pedal extender to Singapore. Her teacher also felt that it's time for her to use the pedals, so we carried the extender to lessons every week in a 24 inch luggage. :sweat:

waiyean
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby phankao » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:36 pm

waiyean wrote:

My daughter used it when she was 4 plus. Needed it as several of the grade 3 pieces requires the pedal and she can't reach them. So I shipped the pedal extender to Singapore. Her teacher also felt that it's time for her to use the pedals, so we carried the extender to lessons every week in a 24 inch luggage. :sweat:

Faint - maybe you should simply buy another set and leave in the teacher's place with your name labelled on it like "for the use of Waiyean's daughter",
unless she wants to buy her own for her own students(!!!!).

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phankao » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:37 pm

phankao wrote:
waiyean wrote:My daughter used it when she was 4 plus. Needed it as several of the grade 3 pieces requires the pedal and she can't reach them. So I shipped the pedal extender to Singapore. Her teacher also felt that it's time for her to use the pedals, so we carried the extender to lessons every week in a 24 inch luggage. :sweat:

Faint - maybe you should simply buy another set and leave in the teacher's place with your name labelled on it like "for the use of Waiyean's daughter",
unless she wants to buy her own for her own students(!!!!).

BTW, I thought I've seen some local school concerts with students using pedal extenders?

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phankao » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:38 pm

Dreamaurora wrote:
waiyean wrote:

It puzzles me as well because there is a demand for it. I normally just ask my students' parents to purchase the extender from Taobao and then ship it to Singapore. Works out to around $180 per item. .

If taobao, then use a local taobao agent lor.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama