Child wants to quit piano

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Discontinue piano lesoon

Postby Double K » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:11 pm

My son is going to P1 next yr.. He has been learning piano about 1 year++ ready.. under Grade 1 only.. currently got attend Maths, Eng and Chi.Did i too pressure him?

Anyone can advise me?

:thankyou:

Double K
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Discontinue piano lesoon

Postby sleepy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:24 pm

Is he showing interest in piano?

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Double K » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:34 pm

Thks for your reply. He told me yes Mummy.. but everytime ask him to practice he was so lazy.. then actually I don ve any piano background also.. did not know hoe to teach him.. and only try my best to ask him practice.. He only learn abt 30 mins once a week at Piano class so i think is very short time.. So How? Pls advise?

Double K
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby MrsSeah » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:01 pm

I also don't have piano background. When my kids are younger, I just sit beside them and ask them to play for me all the song that the teacher teaches. Most of the teacher will write a date on the page they teach on that day.

I asked them to play for me 2-3 times for each song. Now they are more independence. I don't sit with them anymore. Just occassionally nag at them to practice. :p

MrsSeah
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Double K » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:08 pm

Dear Mrs Seah,

Nice to chat with u. May I know that your children are still learning piano?
Untill now. Im also in the doubt is it useful for them in studying?

Cheers

Double K
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby sleepy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:17 pm

Double K wrote:Thks for your reply. He told me yes Mummy.. but everytime ask him to practice he was so lazy.. then actually I don ve any piano background also.. did not know hoe to teach him.. and only try my best to ask him practice.. He only learn abt 30 mins once a week at Piano class so i think is very short time.. So How? Pls advise?

If he has interests, should continue to nurture him. Initially, give him your full attention, sit right next to him when he practises. After he gets into some sort of a routine & gain confidence in the instrument, then you migrate yourself to the sofa. 30 minutes lesson seems rather short, should be able to increase to 45 minutes for his age. I feel that P1 workload is quite manageable.

I don't know how to read notes either. Absolutely zero music background. Although I can't point out dd's mistake, I can offer her my companionship when she practises & encouragement when she jam at certain notes. In the middle of her practice, she will usually come over to hug me, she called it 'recharge battery' :lol:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:30 pm

Sleepy, my k1 does not like to perfect his playing. So long he gets the tune or melody right, he loses interest to try to play the piece nicer or he'll proceed to change the rhythm or add notes cos he said sound nicer. Should I be strict on this?

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:33 pm

jedamum wrote:Sleepy, my k1 does not like to perfect his playing. So long he gets the tune or melody right, he loses interest to try to play the piece nicer or he'll proceed to change the rhythm or add notes cos he said sound nicer. Should I be strict on this?

Modern or pop pieces ok..he can improvise and experiment but for classical pieces, it is best that he understands the technique behind playing classical pieces for his music foundation building. Perhaps you can switch him to jazz piano too if it suits him better. Jazz piano is not so stringent as classical piano learning.

Having said this, some people believe that there is a minimum foundation of grade 5-8 classical before switching to jazz piano.

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:47 pm

Double K wrote:Thks for your reply. He told me yes Mummy.. but everytime ask him to practice he was so lazy.. then actually I don ve any piano background also.. did not know hoe to teach him.. and only try my best to ask him practice.. He only learn abt 30 mins once a week at Piano class so i think is very short time.. So How? Pls advise?

Personally I would observe if my child has any strengths to learn the instrument such as
1. natural hearing?
2. take to notes reading easily?
3. can play tune spontaneously?

If there are signs that your child has got what it takes to learn except the practising part, it is still worth exploring his potential. Sometimes when they mature, the discipline in practising may kick in.

However, if the above is missing, you may want to take a break to see if he likes to return to it when he is older, after having more exposure with music. One of my friends' GEP kid dropped the piano in P1-P2 but resumed in P5 and completed grade 8 eventually.

Postby sleepy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:17 am

jedamum wrote:Sleepy, my k1 does not like to perfect his playing. So long he gets the tune or melody right, he loses interest to try to play the piece nicer or he'll proceed to change the rhythm or add notes cos he said sound nicer. Should I be strict on this?

Hi, I think it's quite alright for beginners. More important to sustain his interest during initial stage of learning. When your ds progresses to learning grade 1, I believe teacher would be stricter & expect greater perfection especially for exam pieces

Occasionally my dd will play on her old keyboard, set to different instruments to experiment with different sounds. She giggles so much every time, really more fun :lol:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama