Teacher 123qwesz : Piano Q&A

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Teacher 123qwesz : Piano Q&A

Postby 123qwesz » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:20 am

Hi all,

I realize that there are many threads relating to questions with regard to learning piano in this forum. The purpose of this thread is to answer questions that you might have.

___
Check out my piano site at http://www.gabrielyeong.com

123qwesz
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Ask a Piano Teacher anything!

Postby snappleapple » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:44 pm

Hello there. May I know where can I find a piano teacher that teaches accelerated music theory till grade 5 at a reasonable rate?

And.... i recognise you! You're gabrielcrescendo from SGC forum right!

snappleapple
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby 123qwesz » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:10 am

snappleapple wrote:Hello there. May I know where can I find a piano teacher that teaches accelerated music theory till grade 5 at a reasonable rate?

Hello snapppleapple, yes, guilty as charged :)

Are you looking for only theory? No piano practical lessons involved at all?

123qwesz
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby snappleapple » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:45 pm

123qwesz wrote:
snappleapple wrote:Hello there. May I know where can I find a piano teacher that teaches accelerated music theory till grade 5 at a reasonable rate?

Hahaha it would be great if you're able to guess who I am!
Yup just only theory!

snappleapple
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby 123qwesz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:00 pm

snappleapple wrote:
123qwesz wrote:

Hahaha it would be great if you're able to guess who I am!
Yup just only theory!

Hmm, I'm not too sure about teachers who teach only theory. Maybe you can try Yamaha.

123qwesz
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby phankao » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:19 pm

123qwesz wrote:

Yup just only theory!

Hmm, I'm not too sure about teachers who teach only theory. Maybe you can try Yamaha.

Have - there are music schools who teach accelerated music theory to grade 5, and also just theory for up to grade 8. There are definitely more schools doing those accelerated courses up to grade 5 theory than beyond. Look around the various websites, eg. Medley Music School(SAFRA Toa Payoh), Music Workshop (Thomson), Verve Music School (AMK)...

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby LovingBrahms » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:26 pm

I know of a teacher who teaches theory only, most of those students that seeks theory lessons from her are usually those whose main instrument isn't piano. If you would like her contact, you can let me know :)

LovingBrahms
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby phankao » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:17 am

LovingBrahms wrote:I know of a teacher who teaches theory only, most of those students that seeks theory lessons from her are usually those whose main instrument isn't piano. If you would like her contact, you can let me know :)

Too bad I don't know you then. haha. I engaged a piano tr last time just solely to teach my elder boy who plays violin for his grade 5 theory. They worked at it for 4mths before the exam. Eventually he wanted to do the higher grades. He's doing the gr 8 theory this coming exam. I sent him to a music school nearby. Only the Principal teaches the high grades for theory.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:54 am

phankao wrote:Have - there are music schools who teach accelerated music theory to grade 5, and also just theory for up to grade 8. There are definitely more schools doing those accelerated courses up to grade 5 theory than beyond. Look around the various websites, eg. Medley Music School(SAFRA Toa Payoh), Music Workshop (Thomson), Verve Music School (AMK)...

Typically how long would these courses last? How many sessions/hours per week? What are the fees like? Do they have holiday crash courses? Any within easy reach of Queenstown? Asking for my 14yo daughter who plays guitar for fun but hasn't learned music formally. She would be interested to learn some formal theory.

Alternatively, is there a good website where she can self-learn? I can help her a bit as I learned as a child, but can't really teach properly.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby LovingBrahms » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:42 am

phankao wrote:Too bad I don't know you then. haha. I engaged a piano tr last time just solely to teach my elder boy who plays violin for his grade 5 theory. They worked at it for 4mths before the exam. Eventually he wanted to do the higher grades. He's doing the gr 8 theory this coming exam. I sent him to a music school nearby. Only the Principal teaches the high grades for theory.

Does that school happen to be in Kovan area?

And even if it was back then, I think I wouldn't have such luck too as I'm now cutting down on my teaching time haha.

LovingBrahms
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama