Everyone's favourite piano pieces

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Everyone's favourite piano pieces

Postby acforfamily » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:13 pm

Hi, has anyone used this book before? "Everyone's favourite piano pieces".

Each piece is graded but when I look at the grade 1 and 2 pieces, they seem very difficult. I am just wondering whether this is really the ABRSM grades.

Can anyone enlighten? Thanks.

Look here for 2nd hand music books!
http://www.musicbookstrade.blogspot.com/

acforfamily
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:11 pm

Do not follow the grades. The pieces are generally more difficult that the grade there. Normally i start students who just completed grade 2 exam with this book. But i do not start from beginning. The earlier pieces i use it as sight reading. On the whole, i quite like this book. Maybe because i use it when i was young too. But the pieces are lovely and it expose students to different genres, different composer and styles.

Enjoy the book!

Postby acforfamily » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:22 am

Thanks pianojazzy,
I was beginning to get worried about the standard..

acforfamily
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:07 pm

Actually if want to find books which is about exam grading standard, you can try ' The Keyboard Anthology' This has a better gauge of exam standard pieces. The grades are indicated on the book. Pieces in these books are either past exam pieces or quite commonly used as exam pieces.

Postby acforfamily » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:43 am

Thanks pianojazzy,

acforfamily
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby EN » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:34 am

Riding on this thread, I am wondering if pianojazzy, actorfamily or anyone can advise me on buying music scores.

DS has completed his school practical book ahead of time. DH was suggesting that since we are able to decipher the notes, why not buy other music books and start learning other songs. DS started to feel bored playing the same old songs and have been practising only once or twice a week. The thing is, to be ahead in school practical book is easy as the teacher has covered the theory part in advance and we simply put the notes into place.

I am wondering if other parents do buy other music books for the child to learn and practice. I believe actorfamily does. For the music book use for self pleasure and learning, if your child faces difficulty in knowing what the notes are, how do you proceed to assist?

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:32 am

Hi EN,

You might like to share what are the books your boy is playing or completed and i can advise you what are the books to get etc.

Postby EN » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:29 pm

Hi pianojazzy, I have sent pm to you.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby acforfamily » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:05 pm

EN wrote:I am wondering if other parents do buy other music books for the child to learn and practice. I believe actorfamily does. For the music book use for self pleasure and learning, if your child faces difficulty in knowing what the notes are, how do you proceed to assist?

I don't consciously buy other books for him. Sometimes, the school skips some songs in the book and he will try to play these himself. Having said that, he doesn't have time to do these anymore as the JSAC course is quite time consuming.

acforfamily
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:26 pm

Replied :)

Next

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama