Any advise? My ger lacking behind in piano class...

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Any advise? My ger lacking behind in piano class...

Postby xinnamag » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:36 am

Hi,

My ger has been attending Yamaha Piano Course for Children (4 yrs course) for 2 yrs plus and has passed her first grade.

Recently, her music teacher said that she was unable to catch up with the rest for both theory and practical. Suggested to change her to individual lesson in Yamaha.

I'm not sure if I should do as what the teacher suggest or to get her a private teacher. Not sure if the rates differ much? Would appreciate any kind advise.

Also, if you have any recommendation on good private teacher teaching in Tampines area, please pm me. Thanks! :thankyou:

xinnamag
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Any advise? My ger lacking behind in piano class...

Postby waiyean » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:05 am

Hi, how old is your girl? Does she practise at home? Individual gives more focus and attention, but depends on your age as well.

waiyean
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby xinnamag » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:15 am

Hi Waiyean,

She's 10. She does practise at home but not very frequent due to her school work and CCA. Her music teacher said she feels that my ger is diligent but unable to grasp the knowledge well. So she suggest individual coaching.

xinnamag
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby waiyean » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:39 pm

Hi xinnamag,

I think 10 years old is more than ready to take individual lessons. I am surprised that Yamaha put her in group class in the first place. I would say go for individual class, it could be in Yamaha, or it could be private teacher.

In individual lessons, the teacher can focus more on your girl, to rectify the weaknesses, etc. The fees may go up slightly, but will certainly be worth it.

waiyean
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sushigal » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:53 am

Private at home is better than going to Yamaha individual. Girl used to go Cristofori and I find it slow.

My girl has been with her piano teacher for the last 5 years and she is taking her Grade 5 this Sept 2013. Girl is 10 years old now.

Learning at home is faster than the centre. That is my personal view.

Her piano teacher can also concentrate more Theory too! Theory is just as important.

sushigal
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Honesty » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:32 pm

sushigal wrote:Private at home is better than going to Yamaha individual. Girl used to go Cristofori and I find it slow.

My girl has been with her piano teacher for the last 5 years and she is taking her Grade 5 this Sept 2013. Girl is 10 years old now.

Learning at home is faster than the centre. That is my personal view.

Her piano teacher can also concentrate more Theory too! Theory is just as important.

Hi Sushigal, how long does your gal takes to master gr 5?

Honesty
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby sushigal » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:49 pm

It all depends on individual child. She just started in April 2013 for her Grade 5 exam this coming Sept. She needs only 5 months for that.

She practices everyday on the piano but only less than 10mins for about 2-3 times a day. So it only adds up to half and hour.

My girl is slightly gifted in music. That's why she managed to sit for Grade 5 this year. She usually score either merit or distinction for her exam not only in Theory but also practical.

For those not gifted in music they need lots of hardwork.

sushigal
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama