Great piano modern pieces

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Great piano modern pieces

Postby ngl2010 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:44 pm

Do you know any great piano modern/new age/pop pieces? I am looking for some 'cos my son has been playing River Flows in You (Yiruma) and A Thousand Years (Christina Perri) for the past 2 weeks and I want to give him new pieces for relaxation (he is P6). I've given him One Direction's songs but he said their songs are not soothing to play on piano :faint:

Thank you.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Great piano modern pieces

Postby sleepy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:59 pm

Try ABBA?
My dd loves their songs. Can sing along while playing. More enjoyable

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngl2010 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:52 pm

sleepy wrote:Try ABBA?

He was crazy about ABBA songs when he was a toddler :please: but he had outgrown it. I am actually quite evil because I am giving him these new pieces to improve his sight readings :oops: hehehehe....

I'm thinking of giving him Richard Clayderman's songs but I am bored with those songs... He wants soothing songs.... sigh... I'm checking Michael Buble's songs now...

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Dreamaurora » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:34 am

ngl2010 wrote:

He was crazy about ABBA songs when he was a toddler :please: but he had outgrown it. I am actually quite evil because I am giving him these new pieces to improve his sight readings :oops: hehehehe....

I'm thinking of giving him Richard Clayderman's songs but I am bored with those songs... He wants soothing songs.... sigh... I'm checking Michael Buble's songs now...

I love Japanese contemporary compositions; your son will love them if he likes Yiruma. Final Fantasy Piano Collections are excellent arrangements of game music from Final Fantasy and many of them are worthy of study. Yukie Nishimura, Joe Hisaishi, and SENS are excellent piano composers as well. Plenty of soothing smooth music there. You can browse and purchase Japanese sheet music at Takashimaya Kinokuniya's Japanese section.

For ang mor one, can try listening to works by following composers: Suzanne Ciani, Michael Nyman, Pam Wedgwood, David Lanz, Dan Coates and Eugene Rocharolle. I won't list down their individual pieces because there are too many nice ones!

Dreamaurora
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngl2010 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:45 am

Dreamaurora wrote:
ngl2010 wrote:

I love Japanese contemporary compositions; your son will love them if he likes Yiruma. Final Fantasy Piano Collections are excellent arrangements of game music from Final Fantasy and many of them are worthy of study. Yukie Nishimura, Joe Hisaishi, and SENS are excellent piano composers as well. Plenty of soothing smooth music there. You can browse and purchase Japanese sheet music at Takashimaya Kinokuniya's Japanese section.

For ang mor one, can try listening to works by following composers: Suzanne Ciani, Michael Nyman, Pam Wedgwood, David Lanz, Dan Coates and Eugene Rocharolle. I won't list down their individual pieces because there are too many nice ones!

Thank you, Dreamaurora.
:thankyou:

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Presto Studios » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:33 pm

If your son likes songs by Yiruma, You may want to let him try Kiss the Rain too. It's very soothing.

There are other contempory/jazzy music by Pamela Wedgewood which are very nice as well. She wrote many soothing jazzy music in her series called "After Hours". Check this out!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TTYH3Jr62bQ

Presto Studios
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ngl2010 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:40 pm

Presto Studios wrote:If your son likes songs by Yiruma, You may want to let him try Kiss the Rain too. It's very soothing.

There are other contempory/jazzy music by Pamela Wedgewood which are very nice as well. She wrote many soothing jazzy music in her series called "After Hours". Check this out!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TTYH3Jr62bQ

Thank you, Presto Studio.
:thankyou:

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby JohnYeo » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:27 pm

I am not sure if this helps...I'm not a piano person but I love listening to this free piano station and sometimes I heard that they have new modern pieces.

http://solopianoradio.com/

JohnYeo
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ngl2010 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:46 pm

Thank you, JohnYeo. We will check it out :)

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby JohnYeo » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:50 pm

You are welcome...this is one of the best free piano stations... :D

JohnYeo
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama