Does anyone teach their kids PIANO on their own?

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Does anyone teach their kids PIANO on their own?

Postby winth » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:42 pm

Hi,

Hope it doesn't sound funny to parents here.

May I know if parents DIY their piano lessons? Or where can I gather resources on simple musical scores?

Any parents who have links/resources/tips to share?

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lovebearsallthings » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:29 pm

I am thinking of teaching my boy piano/keyboard too! But so far, he has been banging his hands on the keyboard... Tried to teach him use his fingers do do-re-mi etc, but realised his fingers are a little 'soft', he can't seem to control very well. He is 4 years old.

lovebearsallthings
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby zen_mum » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:02 am

Hi winth!
I use my half-baked knowledge from ages ago to teach my kids to play. :D
I start with the Bastien books - [1] Piano Party and [2] Theory and Ear Training Party. I don't use the entire series from A to D though, just Books A and B. My 4yo has just completed the B books so we will begin on the below soon if I have the energy!

For DS1, after the above I moved on to John Thompson's Easiest Piano Courses Part 1 and 2, along with Lina Ng's My First/Second/Third Theory Books. Took about 1.5 yrs (K1 to mid-K2) at a very leisurely pace. These are very simple actually, more to prepare for Grade 1 work.

After these, for theory, DS1 started on the Lina Ng graded series (Theory Made Easy). This week we will begin the Grade 2 book.
For playing, let me see... we use [1] John Thompson's Modern Course for the Piano, [2] Hanon (The Virtuoso Pianist) for finger work, [3] the ABRSM sight-reading series and [4] scales, and lastly [5] Czerny Opus 599.

zen_mum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby sashimi » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:50 pm

Considering that my daughter spends a mere 30 mins a week at the music school, then schellen, I, my brother and sometimes my mom, all have to spend something like 3 hours+ coaching her at home, it does feel more like we are the piano teachers instead of the music sch teacher. I often feel that the music school should be paying us parents to teach our kids music.

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby fristrom » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:59 pm

sashimi wrote:Considering that my daughter spends a mere 30 mins a week at the music school, then schellen, I, my brother and sometimes my mom, all have to spend something like 3 hours+ coaching her at home, it does feel more like we are the piano teachers instead of the music sch teacher. I often feel that the music school should be paying us parents to teach our kids music.

That's an interesting view.

Alternatively, if you look at music as a language, and your daughter has a 30 min at school, the only way for her to be fluent in the language is to speak it at home... and that's where we come in :D

Maybe it goes back to why kids are learning music.

fristrom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Wan » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:28 am

thanks for starting this thread. I am keen to teach my own children piano, but doesn't know where to start. I have a rusty grade 8 cert, but hasn't touched my piano for years and it is still at my dad's house.

what is a good age to start? my son is 4yo this year. anyone can share ur exp?

Wan
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby metz » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:48 am

sashimi wrote:Considering that my daughter spends a mere 30 mins a week at the music school, then schellen, I, my brother and sometimes my mom, all have to spend something like 3 hours+ coaching her at home, it does feel more like we are the piano teachers instead of the music sch teacher. I often feel that the music school should be paying us parents to teach our kids music.

My kids' violin teacher told them directly that the 30 minutes is for him to pick on their playing. They should practise hard at home and not during his lessons. Otherwise, it's a waste of time.

I suppose it boils down to expectations from both sides. If we parents don't chip in at home, we'll have to accept slower progress (and in my case, more scoldings from teachers). That's fine if we just want the kids to learn an instrument for fun. But as a musician yourself, I doubt you can stand someone making noise at the piano instead of music. So, no choice, you got to help supervising. :D At least you have others to share the work. I have to supervise the practices all by myself, and I'm not even musically trained. :cry:
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby winth » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:00 am

zen_mum wrote:Hi winth!
I use my half-baked knowledge from ages ago to teach my kids to play.
I start with the Bastien books - [1] Piano Party and [2] Theory and Ear Training Party. I don't use the entire series from A to D though, just Books A and B. My 4yo has just completed the B books so we will begin on the below soon if I have the energy!

For DS1, after the above I moved on to John Thompson's Easiest Piano Courses Part 1 and 2, along with Lina Ng's My First/Second/Third Theory Books. Took about 1.5 yrs (K1 to mid-K2) at a very leisurely pace. These are very simple actually, more to prepare for Grade 1 work.

After these, for theory, DS1 started on the Lina Ng graded series (Theory Made Easy). This week we will begin the Grade 2 book.
For playing, let me see... we use [1] John Thompson's Modern Course for the Piano, [2] Hanon (The Virtuoso Pianist) for finger work, [3] the ABRSM sight-reading series and [4] scales, and lastly [5] Czerny Opus 599.

Thanks for referring those books! Wow...

Actually I have difficulty on even getting a keyboard for my 2.5 year old. I wonder if I should buy those life-size ones or those kid-size ones available at ToysRUs?

My current tenant is a part-time piano teacher and she told me to buy my 2.5 year old a kiddy-size for him to get the exposure first as he's too young for one-on-one lessons. She noticed the intent DS2 puts in and the appreciation he shows on those piano keys (he doesn't bang the keys). Hence, she keeps telling me that I have to expose him to music. She told me to teach him using numbers on the keys? Does anyone know what it means??? :?

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby EN » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:26 pm

At least you have others to share the work. I have to supervise the practices all by myself, and I'm not even musically trained.

chamonix, we can cry together. :cry:

I wonder if I should buy those life-size ones or those kid-size ones available at ToysRUs?

Winth, if you happen to want to buy ToysRUs keyboard, I'm letting go mine. Bought at $99, selling at $50. Use only for a month. Still have plastic, box and receipt. Not sure how many keys. Maybe about 44. Cheaper ones in ToyRus uses battery. Mine comes with adapter.

Why not see how his interest goes before embarking on the life size one, since he is so young.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby buds » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:26 pm

winth wrote:My current tenant is a part-time piano teacher and she told me to buy my 2.5 year old a kiddy-size for him to get the exposure first as he's too young for one-on-one lessons. She noticed the intent DS2 puts in and the appreciation he shows on those piano keys (he doesn't bang the keys). Hence, she keeps telling me that I have to expose him to music. She told me to teach him using numbers on the keys? Does anyone know what it means??? :?

Uhhm... i ever learnt like that before. :oops:
When i first entered the pre-school industry
everywhere i looked, my fellow colleagues
all played the piano. Yes, life sized one! :shock:
They never mentioned that playing music was
a requirement, so i ok oni lahh.. Skali i heard
music lesson all kena play piano, bo pakei cd
one! :cry:

A motherly and best-est supervisor where i
got attached to and another senior teacher
helped me learn by using number reading to
play the children's songs. There will be notes
on the music books but they put numbers for
me to be able to play.

Oh, the numbers represented the keys on
the piano that i had to hit. So for starters, they
even numbered the keys as well. When i got
better they slowly removed the number stickers
from the piano keys.

Pssst.. i eventually played without even looking
at the book anymore. Seriously look like i cud
play like pro! Phewitt! :lol: Imagine me playing
on and sang while i watch the children sing and
dance in the music room (with mirrors)! I wasn't
even looking at the keys wor... steady pom pi pi
hor me! Wuakakakakaaa! :lol:

I cud even smile to the parents peeping into my
room through the small glass opening.. :wink:

You have a great tenant hor winth.. Lucky you.
Can stay there, take care both DS and also help
you with advice on music. :celebrate:

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama