Piano or organ better?

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Piano or organ better?

Postby hardworking_mom » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:02 pm

Hi,

My son has joined the Yamaha children electone course recently and now is now learning organ. This course is held at a studio at community centre and not at Yamaha school itself. The course is about $150 for 12 lessons. When I asked the teacher about home practise, she asked me to get a Yamaha organ. But during the 'trial lesson' the Yamaha staff actually said getting a keyboard is enough for beginners. :? Actually it seems like piano class is more popular than organ. I am still not sure if let him stick to organ or switch to piano later. My purpose is expose him to music/musical instrument so he can enjoy music better. So far he seems to enjoy the group class 'cos of company. Can anyone tell me why they choose piano over organ? Or where can I get a reasonably priced organ?

hardworking_mom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sashimi » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:24 pm

When people say "Yamaha organ" does that mean one of those full upright organs? I believe "keyboard" refers to an electronic keyboard - which is a smaller device and investment, so to speak.

You should let him play whatever interests him. At the end of the day, he should be able to switch to piano later, without too much difficulty.

The piano is popular because it forms an important foundation for learning (classical) music. Mastering the piano requires the student musician to learn how to subtly control volume and touch, for example, which is somewhat more artificial on electronic keyboards.

The piano also has - for some two and a half centuries :) - been an instrument of choice for the privileged in society. It is a status symbol, and is still perceived as "superior" to other keyboards, including the organ. This "peer pressure" is significant. But it's fine so long as the process helps identify talent and give kids the opportunity.

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama