NAFA Young Pianist - 6 years old? Too old?

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

NAFA Young Pianist - 6 years old? Too old?

Postby leng2005 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:24 pm

Today I wish to register for my daughter for the audition but was not even given a chance. The lady at the registration said my daughter who is 6 years old, born in 25 June 2003 is too old. She has only completed book level 3 as she is only allow to be registered in Yamaha when she turn 6. So how is she suppose to complete Grade 1 exam as required by Nafa.

The requirement states that the entry age for NAFA is 6 to 8. But I guess they are not following the min requirement.

Very disappointed :stupid:

leng2005
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby metz » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:06 am

That's really odd.

I called last month and the lady told me the best age to register would be 6 years old. They do take in 5 year olds if they are good.

But the lady did mention they don't encourage 8 years old cos they are a little too 'old' for the programme.
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: NAFA Young Pianist - 6 years old? Too old?

Postby mrswongtuition » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:30 am

leng2005 wrote:Today I wish to register for my daughter for the audition but was not even given a chance. The lady at the registration said my daughter who is 6 years old, born in 25 June 2003 is too old. She has only completed book level 3 as she is only allow to be registered in Yamaha when she turn 6. So how is she suppose to complete Grade 1 exam as required by Nafa.

The requirement states that the entry age for NAFA is 6 to 8. But I guess they are not following the min requirement.

Very disappointed :stupid:

I think it's more for parents who send their kids to private teachers who can ensure that they take the grade 1 exam before they are 6yo if they are good enough.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:12 pm

leng2005 wrote:The requirement states that the entry age for NAFA is 6 to 8. But I guess they are not following the min requirement.

I think age 6 yo referring to next year when they start the programme.
So this year must be 5 yo when going for audition.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby unflappable_chicken » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:19 am

hey(:

I was around seven when I went into NAFA.
and I didnt even take my grade one exam then,
they wanted me to skip to grade two.

but I'm not sure if their "standards" have changed after seven years.

hope this helps(:

unflappable_chicken
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby hhtang » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:32 am

unflappable_chicken wrote:hey(:

I was around seven when I went into NAFA.
and I didnt even take my grade one exam then,
they wanted me to skip to grade two.

but I'm not sure if their "standards" have changed after seven years.

hope this helps(:

Hi Unflappable_chicken,

I am looking for a NAFA piano teacher for my 6 years girl. My girl is studying at Yamaha group class. I thinks it is too slow for her. Do you have any good NAFA teacher to recommend?
Thanks a lot!

hhtang
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby 2ppaamm » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:17 am

hhtang wrote:Hi Unflappable_chicken,

I am looking for a NAFA piano teacher for my 6 years girl. My girl is studying at Yamaha group class. I thinks it is too slow for her. Do you have any good NAFA teacher to recommend?
Thanks a lot!

hi hhtang, why are you looking for a NAFA teacher? They normally have a long queue, and they don't travel to your house. You will have to make your way to the teacher's house, and there may be a long waiting list. Some waited for 2 years. Where do you stay?

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hhtang » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:23 am

2ppaamm wrote:

Thanks a lot!

hi hhtang, why are you looking for a NAFA teacher? They normally have a long queue, and they don't travel to your house. You will have to make your way to the teacher's house, and there may be a long waiting list. Some waited for 2 years. Where do you stay?

Hi 2ppaamm,
I knew from my friend, NAFA teacher is very strict and fast learning for child. I hope my gilr would pass 8 before PSLE. I am stay at HOUGANG.

hhtang
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby 2ppaamm » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:40 pm

hhtang wrote:
2ppaamm wrote:

Thanks a lot!

Hi 2ppaamm,
I knew from my friend, NAFA teacher is very strict and fast learning for child. I hope my gilr would pass 8 before PSLE. I am stay at HOUGANG.

Hi, if you are looking for your daughter to finish grade 8 before PSLE, then looking for a NAFA teacher might not be the only answer. There are many teachers who can do that. NAFA's aim is to produce performers, and competition winners, and therefore might not be grade focussed. In fact, a few of my friends got disappointed because they could not progress as fast as they expected.

To do grade 8 before PSLE, teacher is a very important factor, above all else, it is the motivation of the child, besides the talent. If your kid has the motivation, then any good teacher will get her there.

I don't know any teacher in Hougang, my suggestion would be to go for a NAFA audition, and speak to a teacher there. If she does not get in, you can ask the teacher if she would take your child for private class during the audition. NAFA allocates teachers by their residential area.

Hope this helps.

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ooptimizer » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:01 pm

Some piano teachers I have met say that at P6, the child's hand are too small to be able to play some of the notes at Grade 8, where the fingers need to be stretched. I dno't know how true is this because I don't play piano myself.

ooptimizer
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Next

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama