ABRSM Piano FRSM Diploma

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

ABRSM Piano FRSM Diploma

Postby kopipeng » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:31 pm

Hi. I recently decided to finally relocate back to Singapore for good after working in Hong Kong for so many years.

Over there, one of my daughters, who is 13 this year, passed her DipABRSM with Distinction in 2012, and this year has passed her LRSM Piano Performance with Distinction earlier in the year, and she studied with one of the faculty from Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts.

The other daughter is 11 this year, and she passed her DipABRSM with Distinction last year, and then LTCL with Distinction this year, and also studied with the same teacher who teach in the Hong Kong Academy of Performing Arts.

Now that I have relocated back to Singapore and have them enrolled in a school from next year January 2014 onwards, does anyone have any piano teachers to recommend in Singapore who can prepare my elder daughter for her FRSM to be taken by 2015, and I definitely want her to try the FTCL in 2014, and my youngest daughter to take her LRSM next year?

Their teacher used to know a Ong Lip Tat here but unfortunately he passed away, and he recommended a female teacher, but I prefer my daughters to be taught by males.

Please let me know if anyone have any recommendations.

Thank you.

kopipeng
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: ABRSM Piano FRSM Diploma

Postby dolcevita » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:54 pm

Hi Kopipeng,

Your daughters are so talented! Yes, unfortunately it's sad that one of our most talented piano teacher around Mr Ong Lip Tat have passed on and it's really a lost for Singapore's music scene.

Was their teacher Mr Kwok? As I remembered Mr Ong mentioned during a lesson in the past they were good friends.

Male teachers, I will suggest either Dr Thomas Hecht, Albert Tiu from the YST conservatory, or Mr Boris Kraljevic from NAFA.

dolcevita
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby kopipeng » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:13 am

dolcevita wrote:Hi Kopipeng,

Your daughters are so talented! Yes, unfortunately it's sad that one of our most talented piano teacher around Mr Ong Lip Tat have passed on and it's really a lost for Singapore's music scene.

Was their teacher Mr Kwok? As I remembered Mr Ong mentioned during a lesson in the past they were good friends.

Male teachers, I will suggest either Dr Thomas Hecht, Albert Tiu from the YST conservatory, or Mr Boris Kraljevic from NAFA.

Hi. Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately their teacher is not Mr Kwok, but I have always wanted them to study with either Mr Kwok or Miss Wong if I didnt make the decision to return to Singapore. Their teacher does not know Mr Ong personally, but he recommended him by reputation.

Since being in contact with other piano teachers in Hong Kong, a few names have been suggested to me. Yu Chun Yee, Benjamin Loh, Ng Chong Lim, Tedd Joselson, Fang Yuan. I was advised not to go for Thomas Hecht or Boris Kraljevic, but was advised Albert Tiu was a better choice. Do you know about their rates? I will be back only in March, so I intend to start making phone calls soon.

I find that my daughters weakest part is in interpretation of music. They are able to play all major and minor keys hands together double thirds in unison and in contrary motion, and are train to able to play any of the Hanon study in any requested major key, so I don't think they lack in this area as their technic is very good for their age.

They can learn any piece very fast, with only the note correctly, but once they finish, usually they will lose interest and will look want to learn other things.

I will appreciate if you can give me some advice on who will be better for them in this case.

Also, what is your view on sending them to another country for their education? Like Korea, Japan or China? Their teacher told me that there are schools like School of the Arts in those country but the standard is much higher.

kopipeng
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby natsk » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:12 am

Hi Kopipeng
Did you manage to get one of the teachers you have mentioned above? Will like to know what you think if your daughters have started lessons with him. And sharing the rates will be useful ! heard that Benjamin loh charges about $100 per lesson for grade 4? and takes 6 weeks paid leave annually ?

natsk
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby sleepy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:02 pm

kopipeng wrote:
one of my daughters, who is 13 this year, passed her DipABRSM with Distinction in 2012, and this year has passed her LRSM Piano Performance with Distinction earlier in the year, and she studied with one of the faculty from Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts.

The other daughter is 11 this year, and she passed her DipABRSM with Distinction last year, and then LTCL with Distinction this year, and also studied with the same teacher who teach in the Hong Kong Academy of Performing Arts.

Wow, your girls are impressive!

One of my girl's piano teachers used to learn from Melvyn Tan & Lori Kaufman.

I do not know them personally. So can only provide their names for your reference :wink:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama