Change to a proper piano

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Change to a proper piano

Postby Rei99 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:50 pm

My young son is taking his grade 2 piano exams next year march. Seeing that he takes some interest in piano, my husband n i will like to change to a proper piano... Any reccomendations? Better to be second hand :)

Rei99
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby daisyt » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:24 am

Hi Rei99, my opinion is, grade 2 is still early to tell if his interest would sustain. First set a budget, eg. $2K ? With this budget you have two options, a new piano (Korean or China brand) or a Yamaha 2nd hand. When he reaches high grades, eg. 5 or 6, and his interest is still there, you can upgrade to a better one and that piano can stay with him forever.

I have a friend, the child in grade 1, bought a Yamaha 2nd hand, high end model, at about $4K and I feel that this could also last till the child goes higher grades.

Buying 2nd hand piano also depends a lot on luck and its better for you to bring someone who knows piano to test out thoroughly.

For me, I bought a middle range new Yamaha in year 2000. When my girl reach grade 6, we changed to a new high end Kawaii and sold the Yamaha myself. I was able to sell it at a good price because that Yamaha I bought, was made in Japan.

Hope the above helps :D

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:47 pm

daisyt wrote:
For me, I bought a middle range new Yamaha in year 2000. When my girl reach grade 6, we changed to a new high end Kawaii and sold the Yamaha myself. I was able to sell it at a good price because that Yamaha I bought, was made in Japan.

:D

daisyt

how many % do you have to mark down (vs your original purchase price) when selling a 8 - 9 years old yamaha?

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby daisyt » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:01 pm

sleepy wrote:daisyt
how many % do you have to mark down (vs your original purchase price) when selling a 8 - 9 years old yamaha?

When I enquiry with Yamaha for trade in if I buy a new set from them, they only offer me $400. I sold it myself at abt $2K. Original price purchased was about $4.5K

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jce » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:50 pm

Sleepy, all depends on the make of the piano, model, condition of the piano. Top brands depreciate less, the better higher-end models depreciate less too. Trading in to firms will fetch a much lower price because they'd want to earn when they sell it off. They'll have to do touch-ups and fine-tuning to the piano before they sell, so all these costs are factored in.

jce
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jce » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:56 pm

Rei99

What do you mean "a proper piano". What do you have now? If it's a keyboard, then yes, change now or soon. But if you already have an upright piano, just that it may not have a nice sound, then you can still wait for a while more, as in no hurry.

As mentioned, one have to be careful when buying 2ndhand pianos. Best to have someone who knows how to listen and see. Your son's teacher may be able to help in some way or another, at least with the listening bit. Technical stuff is not a knowledge that ALL piano teachers possess. Good makes are like Kawai and Yamaha, but not their lower end models as those are generally made in Indo or China (cost factor). Pearl River from China is quite reasonable (my mum had one that lasted her 10+ yrs) and it's been around for some yrs now.

By the way, how old is your son?

jce
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama