Kawaii K8 Vs Yamaha YUS5

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Kawaii K8 Vs Yamaha YUS5

Postby mumwgals » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:36 am

Hi,

Anyone knows the different between Kawaii K8 and Yamaha YUS5? Both are upright grand.

I'm looking for a new piano for my dd who is taking grade 8 next year. Her teacher suggested YUS5 as my gal will be taking the diploma after her grade 8, she said something about the padel for diploma course :? .

YUS5 is selling at S$12300 after discount, and K8 is at $13100 after discount.

Any information will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

mumwgals
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby daisyt » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:51 am

hi mumwgals, I think you mean sostenuto pedal. Here is what I have found about it.

Effects of the Sostenuto Pedal:
The sostenuto pedal allows certain notes to be sustained while other notes on the keyboard are unaffected. It is used by hitting the desired notes, then depressing the pedal. The selected notes will resonate until the pedal is released. This way, sustained notes can be heard alongside notes played with a staccato effect.

Here is an international piano forum comparing about K8 and YUS5.

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthre ... d/1#import

I was comparing these two 5 months ago and finally ended up with K8. DD tried both pianos. K8 keys are heavier, the sound is more mallow and solid.

What's your girl's comment after trying both sets ?

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mumwgals » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:45 pm

Hi daisyt,

Thanks for the informations on the sostenuto pedal. :D

I have yet to bring her to test on the pianos. Will try to see if we can do that tomorrow. Is there one place that I can go and test on both pianos? Or I have to go two seperate places?

May I know what is the reason that your gal like the heavier keys? My gal teacher asked if our piano keys were heavy because she would like the key to be lighter so that my gal can be more 'expressive' for the grade 8 pieces. The teacher commented that my gal has very strong hands but not enough grace...hahaha.

mumwgals
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby daisyt » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:54 pm

hi mumwgals, we actually went to two places. Yahama at Plaza Sin and then rush down to Millenium Walk. Rush because don't want her to forget the feel and touch when we tested at Yamaha first followed by Millenium Walk. :lol:

I thought all good pianos are with heavier keys. You can try out the grand and baby grands, they are all heavy keys. Morever during exam, those exam pianos are heavy keys. So far, I always heard peoples telling me, heavier keys are better.

And one more thing, when testing a piano, you should test how soft the keys can go with the best feel and touch, and not how loud they are.

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mumwgals » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:08 pm

daisyt, you are so cute, rush because dun want your gal to forget the touch.. :lol:

I had try the baby grand & the grand paino of Kawaii the year before last, but didn't make the purchase because they increase the price 2 weeks after I view it.

I also prefer kawaii sound, but my gal teacher seem to like the yamaha better. The teacher is using a C1.

Dun think I will get the grand, not enough space at home. My hb said if we get the grand, we would have to double it as a dinning table. :wink:

mumwgals
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby daisyt » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:08 am

hi mumwgals, my dd's piano teacher also using a yamaha grand (not sure about the model). However, we still prefer the mallow sound of kawaii. Yamaha's sound, a bit hollow.

Did you try out during the weekend ?

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mumwgals » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:49 am

Hi daisyt,

Nope, didn't go. I was sick :P . Will try this weekend. May be like you, I will rush from one place to another so that my dd can rememer the feel of the 1st piano. The last time (one yr plus ago) we tried, she said both about the same, but she was only 8yo plus then. Hopefully she can tell the different now.

I think the Yamaha sales is till end of this year.

mumwgals
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby tree nymph » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:06 am

Sorry to butt in. I was looking for a piano earlier and I spoke to a few piano teachers. All agreed that the Yamaha has lighter keys and Kawai has heavier keys and that Almost all prefer Kawai to the Yamaha due to the sound. There are 3 senior teachers that I spoke to that swears by Kawai because of its sound and their heavy keys - citing reasons as better training for the hands movement and strength and feel.

But i guess its still up to individual taste and likes. There's no right or wrong in this case.

I hope you get something you like!

tree nymph
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby daisyt » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:45 pm

tree nymph, thanks for your contribution. :D

hi mumwgals, you have a long weekend this week to shop for a suitable one. 8) Your dd 9 yo now and in grade 8 ? :shock:

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tree nymph » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:07 pm

daisyt,
we also ended up buying a mid-range kawai cos we like the sound better... not that my kids can play the piano yet... hb very gan cheong! the kids better take an interest in piano and learn well... :pray:

mumwgals,
oh yah, 9+yo and grade 8 liao!!?? :shock:
your gal very good leh!

tree nymph
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama