How You Value Your Violin?

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

How You Value Your Violin?

Postby Mareny Goo » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:19 pm

Recently i just bought a violin from my friend from Italy at $5000. My son like the sound very much and i show it to my violin teacher, she said the violin is just worth $3000 plus...i felt a bit upset of her word but the teacher said important is my son like the violin...

Please advice how your normally value your violin in Singapore?

And i saw this post in my facebook showing the value of violin by a guy from New York, do anybody know Tong Ming Xi Gallery here?

http://www.tongmingxi.com/2014/02/the-v ... singapore/

Mareny Goo
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: How You Value Your Violin?

Postby tmxplay » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:25 pm

Yes I’ve been to Tong Ming Xi Gallery before. They provide violin repair and restoration services apart from selling violins.

tmxplay
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: How You Value Your Violin?

Postby marinov » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:22 am

this is a very difficult question because its scope is too wide. If you google the net for an answer, you will come across such a wide array of anwer its mind boggling. Your situation (teacher making a lower apprasial than purchase price) is all too common. I see it all the time. Sometimes, its the opposite; they will say your violin cost double than what you paid for. before we can go ahead and write another answer to this question, consider my observation

1)A lot of teachers and especially musician choose instrument using their heart, not their mind. They will choose something they like, which is usually close to what their own instrument.
2) Looks DOES matter. A lot of customers come to me and say they dont care about looks, just want good sound. But my observation is subconciously, players will reach for an instrument which look appealing to them when they try an instrument!

3) when player comment on the price of an instrument, they need to play it right? I have notice that players of different training and background will appraise violins differently. Afterall, they play differently and have different technique, musical interpretation etc

4) these 3 key people all price instrument using different criterial, thus creating this effect. They are: a) violin maker b) dealer or shop owner c) consumer such as teachers or musician

There are a lot more to be said and discuss. I've started another tread so you can go in there to ask more questions.

marinov
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama