How to help child to prepare for Piano Grade 1 Exam

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

How to help child to prepare for Piano Grade 1 Exam

Postby natgoh » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:06 pm

As above, I am a parent with no musical background and has no idea how to play or read the piano. Will like to check with parents / piano teachers what I can do to help my DD, 7 years old revise or prepare her for her Grade 1 exam.

Should I get her music sheets so that she can practice? How do I motivate her? How can I make sure she is on the right track?

Thanks in advance all!!!

natgoh
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: How to help child to prepare for Piano Grade 1 Exam

Postby Dreamaurora » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:59 pm

natgoh wrote:As above, I am a parent with no musical background and has no idea how to play or read the piano. Will like to check with parents / piano teachers what I can do to help my DD, 7 years old revise or prepare her for her Grade 1 exam.

Should I get her music sheets so that she can practice? How do I motivate her? How can I make sure she is on the right track?

Thanks in advance all!!!

Normally it is best to communicate your DD's teacher and ask what you can do to help her your DD. It is important to note that all important decisions and plans have to be discussed together with the teacher first. Being more critical and overly involved than the teacher can be a touchy subject and it may be detrimental to your child's learning instead.

Dreamaurora
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby waiyean » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:14 pm

natgoh wrote:As above, I am a parent with no musical background and has no idea how to play or read the piano. Will like to check with parents / piano teachers what I can do to help my DD, 7 years old revise or prepare her for her Grade 1 exam.

Thanks in advance all!!!

Hi Natgoh,

Try to sit in during your DD's lesson, and keep a notebook on all the areas that teacher wants to focus on, and areas to improve. You may also want to ask teacher for permission to video the lessons, so that both of you can review the lessons at home. Getting more music score to practise may be good, but if no one checks whether it is played correctly, it may not be as effective.

Do keep regular daily practice times, your DD should do just fine. If you want, you can also enrol for lessons yourself. Your DD will be motivated to know that her parent is willing to do that for her.

waiyean
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Blue Pearl » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:31 am

Tks for your sharing

Blue Pearl
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby pinkapple » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:30 am

Hi. My son is going to sit for the grade 1 exam next year too. I'm also rather worried. I think he is not practising enough n on most lessons, Teacher doesnt seem pleased w his performance.

Am considering subscribing to a new Russian program, " Soft mozart " where they put the scores onto an interactive screen. www.softmozart.com/

Personally, I don't think playing piano should b taught this way... But kinda for desperate measures.

Any music teachers wanta comment on this program as a form of practice?? not so much for learning but just for drill n practice.

pinkapple
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby pinkapple » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:57 am

More about soft Mozart: pianolearningsoftware.com/pages/goh-khee-meng

pinkapple
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama