How do i get my gal interested in music?

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

How do i get my gal interested in music?

Postby koala_pig » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:24 pm

hi,

my gal is coming 3 years old. How do i get my gal interested in music? eg piano & violin?

How rather if my gal is even interested in music in the first place?

whats the min age for learning music?

koala_pig
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ctct61t » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:48 pm

You can go yamaha music school for young age music course. It's quite interested. Many kids enjoy the course there.

ctct61t
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Koi » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:05 pm

hi koala_pig

I think for young children it is okay to expose them to music from 2.5 or 3 years old, just be selective to choose a course for their understanding level and their motor skills ability. I guess it is very hard to "motivate" children so young, as long as they enjoy going for lessons and are happy during class its the most important indicator!

My child used to take a course when she was 3.5yr called Funtime Doreme at edvox music sch. It introduces music appreciation to young kids and also they teach them the note reading, flash cards and those songs. The thing that attracted me to this course was after my friend's child attended, she enjoyed the lessons and always asks to go weekly. Also, a free keyboard and violin was given to my child when they learn the instruments.

Koi
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby koala_pig » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:59 pm

So koi, did your child got interested in music after attending the course?

edvox charges 240 per term (3 months) , is this consider expensive ?

Sorry, i have nv learn music b4.. :oops:

koala_pig
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby mumwgals » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:51 pm

Hi,

For me, I introduce nursery rhyme to both my gals since baby time. Just sing & sing to or with them. I sang rhyme with actions and also got them to clap with the tempo. We even made instruments from re-cycled material. This is the best activities, it kills many birds with one stone, it helps in the children's language skill, motor skill and music sense.

My 5yo is currently with Yamaha. She started when she was 4yo but only 3mos ago that she started to enjoy the class. I had to change 3 different classes before I got settle down with this one.

I feel that the teacher is very important, especially those teaching toddler/pre-sch. They must connect with your child.

mumwgals
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby angeline123 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:54 pm

I send my 2 children to a school in Marine Parade. I started when they are 1.5 years old. Not so much of playing the instrument. More of training the motor skills, ears, and responding to music.

Through games they learn about music.

angeline123
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Koi » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:04 am

koala_pig wrote:So koi, did your child got interested in music after attending the course?

edvox charges 240 per term (3 months) , is this consider expensive ?

Sorry, i have nv learn music b4.. :oops:

Hi Koala,

She has always been responsive and likes to sing and move to songs in cartoons, hence we decided to send her for more "formal" music education that is conducted by qualified teachers and in a fun environment to interact with other kids her age.

After the first lesson, she learnt to sing songs and was introduced to different sounds (pitch i think) and rhythm, various percussion instruments, songs and movements and games. I think it was because is seems fun during lessons that my girl enjoys it so much.

As for the cost, personally I found it pretty reasonable as it is for 3 months and it is 60min lessons each week. Of course we surveyed other schools and there are cheaper and more expensive schools but somehow the timing and curriculum of Funtime Doreme attracted us. Plus i got a free small keyboard and violin to bring home for my girl to practise. No regrets :)

Hope my experience can help you.

Koi
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:54 pm

For young children, go for music appreciaton classes first. When they can read and understand alphabets and numbers, do consider 1 - 1 as group lessons can be slow and fast learner will be held up while slow learners can't catch up :)

Postby ctct61t » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:19 am

pianojazzy wrote:For young children, go for music appreciaton classes first. When they can read and understand alphabets and numbers, do consider 1 - 1 as group lessons can be slow and fast learner will be held up while slow learners can't catch up :)

Yah, this is the best way to let children to have interested in music, and can learn better music in a fast way.

ctct61t
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

first get them interested in music

Postby KARman » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:01 pm

I agree with mumwgals. The most important thing is to get them interested in music - by making it fun.

Young kids get excited by songs and rhymes - esp. with lots of actions. Make instruments and let them experiment. Time to get formal later - when they 'can't live without it' - otherwise all the hard work and drill is boring and puts them off.

The world doesn't need any more 8 y.o. concert pianists.

KARman
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama