all about the violins

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

all about the violins

Postby marinov » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:39 pm

came across this forum and thought it would be useful to share some fun facts about the violins. If you find these informative, I will write more about other facts, perhaps on how to choose a violin.

Do You Know That
1) A lot of Italian violins are not made in Italy - even if the certificate say so (sign by maker)?
2) Some very pricey old violins are not made by the said maker but have been certified as original?
3) Chinese violin are not Chinese, German violin are not German......hmm how strange. Dont understand? probably need to elaborate on this one.
4) European makers are now ordering from China and selling under their own labels? Chinese makers are also ordering from Europe and selling under their own label in China. How strange!
5) There are made in singapore violins?
6) A piece of maple for making the back of the violins can cost RMB2 or Euro 500?
7) varnishing a violin by hand can take a few hour or more than 100 hours.
8) All violin should technically be term "hand made". "machine made" is just not technically accurate.
9) Violin can be made from Plywood and still sounds GOOD!
10) your $1K violin may be really worth $10K; and vice versa.

some 10 fun facts that just randomly came to my mind.

By the way, I own a violin shop. However, to be completely neutral, I will not reveal the name of my shop so that discussion and opinion will not be bias. I thought it would be good to share some facts and knowledge here, as I have been getting a lot of funny questions from parents. There seems to be a lot of inaccurate information out there (due to marketing on line) or people unknowingly sharing inaccurate info. Hope this will be a fun way to help all parents.

marinov
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: all about the violins

Postby marinov » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:29 pm

let me get the ball rolling for some discussion:

Some customers come into my shop and ask me which are totally hand made violins and which are the machine made ones. This question really made me ponder for an accurate answer in the beginning.

All violins are technically made by hand, even the so call machine made ones. Why so? Many procedure in the manufacturing process can only be made by hand. As a matter of fact, for a so call machine made instrument, most of the process needs to be made by hand. An example, the fitting of pegs and strings has to be done by hand. The insertion of the sound post (that little piece of wooden stick you see inside the instrument) has to be done by hand. The installation of the bridge (that flat piece of wood which rest the strings) has been done by hand. I have seen more good quality machine made instrument than hand made instrument! Some businessman simply hire some low skill workers and make every single part by hand, even varnish by hand and sell their violins. But the end result is just a crude instrument with poor tone at best. However, a good factory with a production line can churn out much better quality violins and in greater numbers too. Why? They have good CNC machine to ensure every part is made to spec with little or no variation. In this way, a cheaper and better sounding instrument is perfectly possible. I found out recently that even some supplier who are selling so call "hand made" instrument are beginning to rely more on CNC machine to make certain parts. From the technical and business aspect, it makes a lot of sense. For the buyer, well, some of you may be disappointed to find that out!

marinov
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama