do i need to switch to this young girl?

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

do i need to switch to this young girl?

Postby tong2 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:20 am

my girl is having private piano lesson with a lady from last Dec. but it seems she couldn't understand note and those information and marks on score properly.
this is always I mentioned to current teacher to take time to teach her theory more and detail. but unfortunately, she only go through home work within 2,3 mins before lesson over.
I am not very sure what she is teaching her in class, due to I had another litter boy to take care, so I couldn't sit in with my girl during lesson time.

recently, I happened to meet a young girl who is studying in NAFA. she is playing double-bass. she told me she is also well on piano for more than 10years, and got cert in China. she recommend herself to me and gave a trial lesson to my girl. she pointed out my girl is not strong on notes. She tested one song which my girl played several times in front of current teacher, but still not perfect on intonation, here and there got mistake. She correct them one-by-one in her trial lesson.

now I am facing doubts to choose.

I felt this young girl can lead my girl to reading notes strongly ability.
but, on other hand, she is quite young, and she only holding cert in China, not from international standard -- ABRSM. in currently, maybe she can teach my girl a while to reach certain level. but after that I have to start to search higher grade teacher again, take quite long time to adjust my girl's chemical with new teacher. It might a harder job and be headache to both of us.

To quit from current teacher , switch to this young girl immediately or stay Parallel for few weeks?
anybody can give me some advise in professional way.

tong2
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: do i need to switch to this young girl?

Postby Laoshi » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:05 am

http://youtu.be/UtL_BupOKnc
http://youtu.be/MaVHa1-xEwM
My girl is 5 yrs old, you can see her performances.
Reading notes is the very first step. If the method is good, the kids will catch up easily.
The 1st video shows my girl plays grade 6 piece 'the little negro'; the 2nd is she plays grade 5 exam pieces in July and she has taken the grade 5 exam on 11 of Sep. The result will come out soon:-)

Laoshi
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Laoshi » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:05 am

By the way, I am her teacher.

Laoshi
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Music_lover » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:04 am

I always believed that piano students should learn how to read notes first, but I realised recently that may not be the case. For instance, my brother had learnt violin for a year and I tried to teach him piano, only to realise that I have to start teaching him from the beginning because up till now, he had been learning via the sound and fingerings, but not by reading the score. I spent about half an hour teaching him and managed to teach him how to read notes in half an hour, before my mother told me that his piano teacher had tried to teach him to no avail. He was my first success in teaching basic music theory.

I have received ABRSM piano grade 8 Merit, and my rates are low for beginners at $25/hour. I would love to give a trial lesson to your child if you were worrying over the lady from NAFA only holding a cert from China instead of international. If you are interested, you can contact me at 96668098. However, if you are not willing to accept me, I would say that you can try to change over to the young lady from NAFA since it is evident that she have the ability to teach.

Music_lover
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama