What is your aim of learning piano?

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

What is your aim of learning piano?

Postby Laoshi » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:37 am

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 1QYD9dU2ue

Question 1
Learning piano or comparing which teacher charges cheaper?
Paying attention to the progress and results such as 2 to 2.5 years passed with merit or distinction of grade 5 with a professional teacher or studying for 3 years still could not read even notes and playing with the chicken-feet-shaped hands with cheap and not qualified someone (they are not teachers but pests- waste the kids presious time and prarents' trusts!)

Laoshi
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: What is your aim of learning piano?

Postby Niharika » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:24 am

My daughter enjoys playing the piano
She would like to learn how to read the music sheets
And if she is dedicated to learning ... The fastest she can reach grade5 . She is 12 yrs old now .

Niharika
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Laoshi » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:38 am

Niharika wrote:My daughter enjoys playing the piano
She would like to learn how to read the music sheets
And if she is dedicated to learning ... The fastest she can reach grade5 . She is 12 yrs old now .

Did you see the video from my link? The 1st girl who is 5 years old obtained the passed with distinction of grade 5. My all students have done as well as her after they learning piano for 2-2.5 years from very beginning. As your daughter's age, my students got Grade 8 or diploma and they are playing all master pieces by Chopin, Beethoven, Debussy, etc.
No one wants to compete the progresses but when the kids can play real beautiful pieces by themselves, they are really enjoying the music.

Laoshi
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby daddy2007 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:20 pm

so what if the child reaches grade 5 at age 5 or grade 8/diploma at grade 12.

learning/ playing piano is a lifelong journey. let the child enjoys the process

daddy2007
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Laoshi » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:22 pm

daddy2007 wrote:so what if the child reaches grade 5 at age 5 or grade 8/diploma at grade 12.

learning/ playing piano is a lifelong journey. let the child enjoys the process

Take your time!

Laoshi
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby hersheys » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:32 am

sigh! my gal also loves playing the piano but most of the piano teachers r very strict, stern and shows no patience at all to my extremely reserve gal and they dun seem to hv any passion, they are just teaching as this is just part of their job so I guess this does not motivate my gal. maybe it is just my gal's problem...in any case, sadly, we hv removed her from piano lessons and will start on ukulele in Nov. Hopefully it will be a fun class and she will enjoy it. come one, music is for leisure, what for being to stern and strict?

hersheys
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Laoshi » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:43 am

hersheys wrote:sigh! my gal also loves playing the piano but most of the piano teachers r very strict, stern and shows no patience at all to my extremely reserve gal and they dun seem to hv any passion, they are just teaching as this is just part of their job so I guess this does not motivate my gal. maybe it is just my gal's problem...in any case, sadly, we hv removed her from piano lessons and will start on ukulele in Nov. Hopefully it will be a fun class and she will enjoy it. come one, music is for leisure, what for being to stern and strict?

Insisting and passion are the most important. My students' parents told me same stories had happened to their kids. Teacher must be love kids, love music and love life. I always say teaching kids is not my job because they are my babies too! I always discuss with their parents how to guide their kids learning piano, music, even school subjects. My teenage students always share with me some secrets which they won't tell their parents. I think we are friends and family!

Laoshi
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sacredmusicals » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:31 am

Teachers with superiority complex who is obsessed with results and think other teachers perceived lesser than them as pests definitely I wont consider to teach any of my kids.

sacredmusicals
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby joyofmusic » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:51 pm

hersheys wrote:sigh! my gal also loves playing the piano but most of the piano teachers r very strict, stern and shows no patience at all to my extremely reserve gal and they dun seem to hv any passion, they are just teaching as this is just part of their job so I guess this does not motivate my gal. maybe it is just my gal's problem...in any case, sadly, we hv removed her from piano lessons and will start on ukulele in Nov. Hopefully it will be a fun class and she will enjoy it. come one, music is for leisure, what for being to stern and strict?

My daughter, who is 15, also appears to love to play the piano. However, just like your gal, she doesn't seem to be motivated to go through the regiment of a disciplined routine. After doing the ABRSM Grade 3, about 4 years ago, I decided to allow her to learn just for fun and leisure. She is still learning Classical piano but with no pressure of exams and I notice she prefers to play non-classical (learn on her own) like this recent video of her: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egdmmn0 ... 82cpq6q7LQ

For years, I was hoping she would WANT to learn piano seriously. All the scoldings and the fightings failed to motivate her. Being nice and bringing her to concerts and masterclasses also has not worked in getting her to develop the kind of passion needed for serious study. I still have to beg her to practise. And the first 15 min of practise will be spent playing all these songs that she likes. At most she will practise another 15 min more on what her teacher assigns her!

joyofmusic
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby scotia » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:27 pm

Hi, my gal will b 5 yr old this dec. she's interested in learning piano. Can I know what would u recommend for beginner, should I just get a keyboard for her to practice. I think May b a Casio 61 keyboard for a start, only cost $169. Or I should get something better? I m not sure she can sustain her interest in piano?

scotia
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama