Digital Piano

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Digital Piano

Postby jo.ong » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:52 am

Hi Everyone,

Just sent my two gals to their piano class yesterday and they are keen to proceed with the learning. I was told it would be best to have either a keyboard or piano at home for practicing. Personally, I'm not keen to get a keyboard as the touch is too light. Now, I'm considering to get a digital piano. Any comments on digital piano? By the way, why Casio is more expensive than Yamaha??

jo.ong
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby radiantmum » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:35 am

I bought digital piano 120X. Deciding btw keyboard and digital piano then & decided to go with touch response that is supposedly last till the early grades. Not keen to invest in piano then as not sure whether his interest will last (& thank gdness did not). Been using for a year or so and my DS is happy with it ... the rest is history.

radiantmum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jo.ong » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:42 am

Thanks, radiantmum. I was comtemplating between upright or digital. :idea:

Digital piano these days are quite good I must admit. Some experienced pianist have encouraged me to invest in a upright piano, but hey, upright piano is not easy to "dispose" or move due to the weight.

Still thinking should I get a second hand digital piano... any view?

jo.ong
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby pecalis » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:34 am

jo.ong wrote:Thanks, radiantmum. I was comtemplating between upright or digital. :idea:

Digital piano these days are quite good I must admit. Some experienced pianist have encouraged me to invest in a upright piano, but hey, upright piano is not easy to "dispose" or move due to the weight.

Still thinking should I get a second hand digital piano... any view?

We bought a second hand Yamaha electronic piano P-70, weighted, at $500 - it sounds and feels like the real thing :)

The touch of Keyboard is too light - most piano teacher won't encourage that. We will only get the upright piano when child proceed to higher grades.

pecalis
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jo.ong » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:40 am

You are right and I used to learn piano in my younger days :oops:. The keyboard is just not appropriate for practising. I know ultimately we will still need to get a proper ascountic piano should my gals keen to pursue this further.

jo.ong
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby UncleLim » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:31 pm

I borrowed an old piano to let my kids start learning. Buying second hand is a good idea too. I know someone who bought a spanking new one which has become a white elephant in 2 years.

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby buds hubs » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:39 pm

UncleLim wrote:I borrowed an old piano to let my kids start learning. Buying second hand is a good idea too. I know someone who bought a spanking new one which has become a white elephant in 2 years.

Yes.. Yes.. buy second hand piano... dont waste money..

After Grade 5 then consider buying 1st hand piano.. by then, the child would already know the difference in sound & touch of the keys.. :wink:

I wouldnt reccomend digital piano.. doesnt sound nice to me.. JMHO!

buds hubs
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jo.ong » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:42 pm

Precisely, that's what I decided and intended to do... :love:

jo.ong
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby MMM » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:06 pm

I am a layman but I realised that the touch of digitial and classical piano is different. So few years back, we actually bought a 2nd hand piano.

No regrets till now. My belief is that in the event the kids give up, I can still try to sell the piano for some $ since we've been maintaining it. But I don't think the same can be done for digital.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama