Learning music for preschooler

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Learning music for preschooler

Postby lchunleo » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:50 pm

Hi

is it too early to learn music instrument for preschooler? what is the recommended age and what type of music instrument is recommended? i read that piano is better compared to violin as it is more easier to press. Pls advise

lchunleo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Learning music for preschooler

Postby lchunleo » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:50 pm

to add on, do you think buying toy piano will be useful? thanks for your comments.

lchunleo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jedamum » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:59 pm

How young is your Pre schooler?

Piano makes nicer sound than violin for beginners. But some kids just prefer violin to Piano.

My son started music learning at 4.5years old. He started with a toy key board during school music lesson before we started him with Yamaha keyboard when he started 1-1 Piano lessons a few months later.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby lchunleo » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:19 pm

jedamum wrote:How young is your Pre schooler?

Piano makes nicer sound than violin for beginners. But some kids just prefer violin to Piano.

My son started music learning at 4.5years old. He started with a toy key board during school music lesson before we started him with Yamaha keyboard when he started 1-1 Piano lessons a few months later.

thanks for your reply. my two sons, big bro, 5 yrs and younger is 2.5 yrs. i thinking of piano over violin as it is more easier to use compared to violin.

lchunleo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby waiyean » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:17 pm

lchunleo wrote:thanks for your reply. my two sons, big bro, 5 yrs and younger is 2.5 yrs. i thinking of piano over violin as it is more easier to use compared to violin.

Well, cost of violin definitely lower than piano, although both your boys can share the piano, but they will need different violin due to different size.

Easier to get the correct pitch on the piano compared to violin. First instrument I think better piano than violin. After learning piano, it's easier to learn violin as second instrument.

waiyean
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby lchunleo » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:55 pm

waiyean wrote:
lchunleo wrote:thanks for your reply. my two sons, big bro, 5 yrs and younger is 2.5 yrs. i thinking of piano over violin as it is more easier to use compared to violin.

Well, cost of violin definitely lower than piano, although both your boys can share the piano, but they will need different violin due to different size.

Easier to get the correct pitch on the piano compared to violin. First instrument I think better piano than violin. After learning piano, it's easier to learn violin as second instrument.

yes i agree, i just want to rub some music appreciation to them to gauge their interest and create awareness. it seem children tend to abandon music once it takes a more serious education

lchunleo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby waiyean » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:56 am

lchunleo wrote:yes i agree, i just want to rub some music appreciation to them to gauge their interest and create awareness. it seem children tend to abandon music once it takes a more serious education

I guess it depends from child to child. Not all children will abandon music once it become serious. But, gauging their interest and creating awareness sounds like a good place to start.

waiyean
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ShimmerSparkle » Fri May 29, 2015 3:23 pm

I am 12 and I play both violin and piano. They ate both very different but both require left and right hand to coordinate. I have completed my grade 8 abrsm violin an piano exams and if your child wants to learn either instrument, I can teach him or her starting next year.

ShimmerSparkle
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ajcy » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:49 am

anyone found a place for preschoolers?
we're moving back to singapore and i'd like for my son to continue with music - we've been going for a local version of kindermusik and he loves it even though he started at 15 months. now at 17, he's able to participate more.

ajcy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby momkiasu » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:03 pm

I do not think there is ever a minimum age to learn music as long as your child is willing to learn. However, I must ask if this is your child’s choice, or yours. If your child is not willing to learn music but forcing him/her to learn, that will demoralise him/her and add stress.

I think the best way to start is to try out a trial lesson(usually free) at the nearby music center and assess whether he/she has passion before investing too much money and time into it.

Also, I suggest a basic keyboard which is more affordable from Giant or Fairprice Xtra to start of with. Usually ($200) for a reasonable one.

Hope this helps :)

momkiasu
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama