Cello

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Cello

Postby sleepy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Is it a difficult instrument to learn?

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schellen » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:55 pm

if u alr hv bkgrd in music, then not really. if u hv string bkgrd, it's even easier although the clef used most of the time is the bass clef. u still need to know the treble clef too cos the cello will have parts tt "straddle" both clefs.

besides tt, r u prepared to hv callouses and suffer some pain to ur fingers until u r used to it? violin and viola strings are thinner and shorter so when ur fingers slide up and down the strings, it's easier but for the cello, when u slide ur fingers and thumb up and down, be prepared to tahan a bit of pain until ur skin is used to it.

lastly, are u going to play cello parts for chinese or western music? if for chinese music, the cello has a bass/accompaniment role so the score will be easier to learn but you may have to read the chinese score aka numbers. for western music, the cello has more prominent parts although not as prominent as the violins, and the score will be the western score aka bean sprout.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:05 pm

Wow, you are an expert!

:thankyou:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schellen » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:41 am

no, not expert (very far from it, in fact), just slightly experienced, especially the pain part. :wink:

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby georgewong22 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:13 pm

Hi, desperately need help. I have 2 children - boy aged 8 and girl aged 6. We have been trying for months to look for a good cello teacher or school.

They enrolled into Tanglewood Music School at Robertson Walk. The school's time table is a mess, only 1 cello teacher who is rather impatient with the kids hence the kids fear attending his classes. It's very expensive - $50/30mins.

We tried private tutoring but only found 1. I even sought help from several music organisations but in vain.

Does anyone know of any good cello teachers or schools? I stay in Bishan East. Assistance appreciated. Thanks.

georgewong22
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby BigDevil » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:21 pm

georgewong22 wrote:Hi, desperately need help. I have 2 children - boy aged 8 and girl aged 6. We have been trying for months to look for a good cello teacher or school.

They enrolled into Tanglewood Music School at Robertson Walk. The school's time table is a mess, only 1 cello teacher who is rather impatient with the kids hence the kids fear attending his classes. It's very expensive - $50/30mins.

We tried private tutoring but only found 1. I even sought help from several music organisations but in vain.

Does anyone know of any good cello teachers or schools? I stay in Bishan East. Assistance appreciated. Thanks.

Hi George,

My DD studies piano at this school:
Sinfonia School Of Music
280 Bishan St 24 #01-16
p: 64550805

Just confirmed with her piano teacher that the school offers cello lessons as well. You might want to give them a call.

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby snowz » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:06 am

georgewong22 wrote:Hi, desperately need help. I have 2 children - boy aged 8 and girl aged 6. We have been trying for months to look for a good cello teacher or school.

You have a pm.

snowz
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby georgewong22 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:25 am

BigDevil and snowz, thank you so much. Will definitely pursue the referrals and hope it works out.

Thanks again.

georgewong22
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:51 am

My cello teacher is located at Holland V area. She's very experienced, ex-SSO member.

Her student is also giving lessons at his place near Bartley area. Usually this student will teach the lower grades and once they progress to higher grades, they go to my cello teacher.

I'll ask them for permission to post their numbers here first :)

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby wi11anna » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:29 pm

Hi, any good recommendation where I can buy a cello. We're thinking of buying one for dd who plays the cello in her school's chinese orchestra. she's very keen. TIA.

wi11anna
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama