Affordable equipment to record piano playing

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Affordable equipment to record piano playing

Postby iRabbit » Sun May 17, 2015 2:54 pm

Tried using iPhone to record my son playing a piece I like very much. Found that the audio recording was subpar.

Can anyone recommend a good recording (video & audio) device? It's just for leisure so don't intend to spend a bomb. Thanks.

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Affordable equipment to record piano playing

Postby Dreamaurora » Wed May 20, 2015 1:43 pm

iRabbit wrote:Tried using iPhone to record my son playing a piece I like very much. Found that the audio recording was subpar.

Can anyone recommend a good recording (video & audio) device? It's just for leisure so don't intend to spend a bomb. Thanks.

You can go Citymusic to buy mic attachment for your Iphone to improve the sound quality dramatically.

Dreamaurora
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pirate » Wed May 20, 2015 3:47 pm

You may also want to get a bluetooth speaker. Sometimes it is not the recording that is bad, it is the pathetic speaker in the phone that makes it sound bad.

But, if you really want a good video, you need to buy a HD video camera. That costs a few hundred bucks. But you can use it on your holidays too. :wink:

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Wed May 20, 2015 3:51 pm

Dream may be right. The inbuilt mic is meant mainly for voice (conversation) and so the band may be very narrow so your recording may be miss a lot of high and low frequency information

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Serendipity » Wed May 20, 2015 7:31 pm

I'm also looking for an audio recording equipment for recording piano playing. Any suggestions?

Serendipity
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Porky Pig » Wed May 20, 2015 7:41 pm

Following

Porky Pig
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby iRabbit » Wed May 20, 2015 11:41 pm

Dreamaurora wrote:
iRabbit wrote:Tried using iPhone to record my son playing a piece I like very much. Found that the audio recording was subpar.

You can go Citymusic to buy mic attachment for your Iphone to improve the sound quality dramatically.

Thanks for the suggestion, Dream. Citymusic is pretty near where I'm working so I may give it a visit one of these days. No hurry yet, as ds is still trying to master the ending of the song he's been practising.

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby iRabbit » Wed May 20, 2015 11:44 pm

pirate wrote:You may also want to get a bluetooth speaker. Sometimes it is not the recording that is bad, it is the pathetic speaker in the phone that makes it sound bad.

But, if you really want a good video, you need to buy a HD video camera. That costs a few hundred bucks. But you can use it on your holidays too. :wink:

Creative has a new Bluetooth speaker product retailing at less than $200. Sounds real good. Was tempted to get it but resisted as wasn't keen to 'enrich' ds' online gaming experience any more than necessary. :lol:

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby iRabbit » Wed May 20, 2015 11:47 pm

Nebbermind wrote:Dream may be right. The inbuilt mic is meant mainly for voice (conversation) and so the band may be very narrow so your recording may be miss a lot of high and low frequency information

True, my recording sounded real bad. Didn't bring up the sweetness of the music being played.

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pirate » Thu May 21, 2015 9:01 am

Add it all up and you may be able to buy a HD camcorder. :siam:

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama