from trombone to Double-Bass

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

from trombone to Double-Bass

Postby ruolei » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:32 pm

My son joined Band and was assigned to play trombone last year when he was in secondary 1. After a whole year's training, he found he was not interested in trombone.Instead of it, he likes to play violin very much and learn it by himself.This year, he asked to change CCA from Band to String ensemble but was rejected by the teacher in-charge of Band. Then he asked to play double bass instead of trambone in the Band. His reason is to play double- bass will help him to learn violin. His goal is to join String Ensemble in JC! I do not know weather this is a good choice. Any comments?

ruolei
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Lithilara » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:40 pm

Switching from double bass to violin is a big move.

It would almost be the same as moving from trombone to violin in my opinion.

This is because the double bass usually requires performers to read the bass clef, while the violin players read the treble clef.

The whole finger positioning is completely different and the bowing hand posture is also different, especially if he is using s German bow.

Pitching is also different and the parts the double bass plays is completely different from a violin.

If it is available, perhaps the cello would be a slightly better alternative?

I would also suggest to let your child learn how to play the violin externally, if possible, to allow him to see if he really wants to learn how to play the violin.

This would prevent such an incident from happening again in JC.

Lithilara
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Lithilara » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:41 pm

Sorry, double post and I don't know how to delete posts.

Lithilara
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama