Dreamaurora's Piano Repertoire Exploration

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Dreamaurora's Piano Repertoire Exploration

Postby Dreamaurora » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:38 pm

Here you will find videos of pieces I will upload regularly as part of my regular sight-reading practice.

This is the playlist that will contain the all the pieces I have recorded.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1bwksododHzSLz_5-gDKy6Y2VbCoF9_J

Individual video upload will be posted below with my personal comments and new videos will be posted in new posts.

1. Clumsy Cowboy by Elissa Milne
One of my favourite Elissa Milne's pieces. Catchy and great fun to play. Requires good independence of both hands to be able to execute the various details on the right hand while the left hand keeps a gently swaying pattern. I was surprised so far no one has recorded this in Youtube yet.

From the book Pepperbook Jazz Book 1 by Elissa Milne. Published by Faber Music. Grade 4-5 ABRSM.

2. Soft Rain (Azisai) by Naoko Ikeda
There are a lot of excellent contemporary Japanese composers, but unfortunately their sheet musics are not readily available outside Japan and Asia. Nonetheless, Amazon Japan do ships overseas if you want to try them and I will feature quite a lot of Japanese compositions in my videos. This piece though is readily available around the world in the book Miyabi and will appeal to students who love beautiful lyrical pieces. I decide to play this piece quite a lot faster than the composer originally played it to allow more scope for rubato.

From Miyabi 5 Japanese Impressions for Piano Solo. Published by The Willis Music Company. Grade 3-4 ABRSM.

3. Frosted Windowpanes by Martha Mier
The oldest student in my studio loves this piece dearly and has been begging me to record it because she could not find a good recording of it in Youtube. So, here it is. Interesting textures in the piece and a lot of scope for rubato.

From Romantic Impressions Book 2 by Martha Mier. Published by Alfred. Grade 3-4 ABRSM.

4. Scherzetto by Harold Samuel
There were many excellent British compositions commissioned by ABRSM for use in their exams and ABRSM does release compilations of them, though they could be difficult to get hold of. This Scherzetto is one of them and I feel is one of the most well written. The title I feel is kind of a misnomer though, I think it sounds more like a Waltz.

From Original Pianoforte Pieces Book IV. Published by ABRSM Publishing. Grade 5-6 ABRSM.

Dreamaurora
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Dreamaurora's Piano Repertoire Exploration

Postby Dreamaurora » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:40 pm

For today, we have a famous Handel piece and another Japanese composition.

1. Air in F from the 'Water Music' by George Frideric Handel

Pianists will be familiar with the Air from the Harmonious Blacksmith, but for most other people the Air from 'Water Music' would be the one that they know of. Featured here is Handel's own keyboard arrangement of the Air, which to my knowledge is the only movement from 'Water Music' that he made arrangement of, so it had to have been really popular. Not an easy piece to pull off despite sounding rather simple due to numerous florid ornamentations and careful voicing required here; this piece was set as an Grade 5 ABRSM A piece in 2001.

From Handel's Selected Keyboard Works Book 1 ed. Richard Jones. Published by ABRSM Publishing. Grade 5 ABRSM.

Note: The dotted rhythms are swung as triplets as recommended by Richard Jones in the ABRSM edition of this book. All ornamentation realisations performed in this video also follow those suggested in the edition.

2. Our Land by Karen Tanaka

Karen Tanaka's compositions are featured in a couple of Spectrum compilations and her pieces had been featured as ABRSM exam pieces before, so she's not exactly obscure to the West. But her majority of compositions are for children and published only in Japan. This piece 'Our Land' is from the book 'Our Planet Earth', one of her piano compilations for children. Beautiful, but technically quite challenging to voice all the chords correctly.

From Our Planet Earth by Karen Tanaka. Published by Edition Kawai. Grade 5-6 ABRSM. Score available from Amazon Japan.

Dreamaurora
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama