Young Children and Music

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Young Children and Music

Postby BloomSchoolSG » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:55 am

Hi,

I'm Denise, a preschool teacher, mother to three, and a blogger for Bloom School of Music & Arts.
I have decided to open up a new thread, to post some articles relating to music and its benefits for young children. Have fun reading!

For starters, read about my experience with Musikgarten's Family Music for Babies (FMB) programme at Bloom School of Music & Arts.
http://www.bloom.com.sg/CMS/BlogPage.aspx?ID=7
http://www.bloom.com.sg/CMS/BlogPage.aspx?ID=33

If you have other queries regarding the music programmes mentioned here, please send me a PM, or go directly to http://www.bloom.com.sg/Bloom_CMS_Page_ ... x?PageID=6 so as not to flood this thread.

Really appreciate it!

BloomSchoolSG
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Music as enrichment

Postby BloomSchoolSG » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:56 am

Music as enrichment

During this time of the year, parents are busy getting their kindergartners ready for primary school, as the registration for P1 has already begun in phases.

In Singapore, all citizens have the privilege of a compulsory six-year primary school education. Singapore’s Ministry of Education (MOE) promises that “every school [is] a good school” , as they ensure schools are equipped with a strong curriculum, and enriched with customized programmes to nurture each child holistically, so that they grow not only in knowledge, but also with character and critical competencies.

For your preschooler, this transition is going to be foreign, different, but exciting at the same time.
How can you support your child(ren)’s transition into primary school?

1. If your child is not already playing an instrument, why not start introducing one? Music can be a form of enrichment for your child.
Science and research has proven many times that when children learn to play music, and are actively participating in music class, they develop “neurophysiological distinction” (their brains begin to hear and process sounds which they could not otherwise hear), and this skill can aid in literacy, and in turn, improve academic results.
When you start your child’s musical journey now, as they progress, in future, they can enrol into the School of the Arts (SOTA) or their secondary schools’ MEP programme, and learn with like-minded peers in a musically enriched and vibrant environment.

Still unconvinced of the benefits of music as enrichment? Here’s Jade, a student of Bloom School of Music & Arts, sharing her experiences:

Hi! Please tell us a little about yourself.
My name is Jade, I am 11. I play the piano and the drums. My interests and hobbies are dancing, singing and doing gymnastics.
How did your interest in music start?
My interest in music started when I was little; I started listening to music and I wanted to play with it.
What motivated you to continue your music education as enrichment?
Being able to play the songs that I like motivates me.
What was the biggest change you have noticed about yourself since attending music lessons? How did it affect you in life?
I became more confident in performing, and not have stage fright.
What would you like to say to fellow aspiring musicians?
During any performances, you should be confident. If you are nervous, just think that the audiences are naked, or are teddy bears. If you wear glasses or contact lenses, just take them off so you can’t see the audiences’ faces—so you’ll feel less nervous. And of course, practise, practise, practise!

Remember:
“Find the kind of music they love, good teachers, an instrument they’ll like. Making music should be something that children enjoy and will want to keep doing for many years!”
– Nina Kraus, director of Northwestern’s Auditory Neuroscience Laboratory, and co-author of a study with Jane Hornickel, Dana L. Strait, Jessica Slater and Elaine Thompson of Northwestern University.

Miracles do not happen overnight, so go easy on your children, as you do not want to end up giving them extra stress on top of the impending transition. After all, enrichment, whether in music, arts or in other forms, makes something more meaningful, more rewarding, more valuable. So remember what is already valuable to you!

2. Teach your child life skills, and familiarize him/her to the new routine
Watch this MOE video to get familiar with what to expect.

3. Get tips from a primary school teacher herself!
It will help for your child(ren) to be proficient in reading and writing before entering primary school, as this skill can help him/her cope with other challenges—for example, other subjects.
Develop an awareness of the other skills your child has attained which chart his/her holistic growth; motor skills development, creative expression and appreciation of arts and music, problem-solving skills, imagination, and basic Math concepts.
As parents, be pillars of support and encouragement, and role-models of social situations, to help your child foster positive habits such as listening, turn-taking, and kindness, to name a few.

I hope this article has been helpful for you, by giving you clues of what to expect for this transition to Primary school. Should you discover that your child(ren) have interest in music, as much as possible, Bloom School of Music & Arts would like to be a part of your child’s musical journey. We offer various individual and group instrumental programmes. Students of Bloom will get a confidence boost when they participate in the annual event to showcase their musical talents.

So come on down now to make an enquiry!

Bloom School of Music & Arts LLP

By MRT:
Nearest MRT Station is Ang Mo Kio, next nearest MRT Station is Yio Chu Kang

By Bus:
Bus No. 265* / 548 alight at Blk 527, Ang Mo Kio St 52 – Cheng San Market
Bus No. 45 / 88 alight at Blk 540, Ang Mo Kio Ave 10
Bus No. 72 / 88 / 159 alight at Ang Mo Kio ITE, Ang Mo Kio Ave 5
*same bus number but two different directions, kindly check with the bus driver before boarding

Blk 528 #02-2387
Ang Mo Kio Ave 10
Singapore 560528
(Above Ang Mo Kio Town Council)

Tel : +65 6458 8854
Fax: +65 6458 0439
HP: +65 9681 8242 │ SMS or Whatsapp Only
Email: enquiry@bloom.com.sg

Opening Hours

Tuesday to Friday 1.00pm to 9.00pm
Saturday to Sunday 9.00am to 6.00pm
Monday & Public Holidays Closed

BloomSchoolSG
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Young Children and Music

Postby BloomSchoolSG » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:36 am

To have children connecting and loving music, we, as parents and teachers, have the duty to foster and nurture them from an early age. Parental involvement is important, because, when the parents participate joyfully in a musical activity, the child will know it, and love it as well. Active music making is more than just about learning songs. It will nurture the musical aptitude of the children, and benefit them at each and every stage of their childhood development.

This is the reason why Bloom School of Music & Arts emphasises the importance of early childhood music. Bloom's early childhood programmes offer a comprehensive and sequential plan for the musical development of a child from birth, through beginning instrumental classes. Songs, dances, rhythms and stories are repeated appropriately, building on what each child has mastered, thus making successful learning easier. Class time is always educational, fun and purposeful.

Musikgarten programmes for babies and toddlers are designed for parents and children to experience and share music together. Through a wide variety of activities such as singing, dancing, bouncing, and interacting, we want to bring out the musician in every child. Musikgarten is a highly acclaimed early childhood music programme from the USA with 30 years of research on child development and psychology. They are the leaders in early childhood music education – for children and teachers. Through its comprehensive educational programme, children from newborn to 6 years old will develop a deep affection for music and possess the ability to express it.

Our Tutti programmes (unaccompanied classes for 3 years old and above) further exposes children to the various genres of music, rhythmic patterns, and important composers. Activities will help your child to nurture their listening skills, attention span, imagination, creativity and self-expression. And at the end of Tutti Tots, students will be able to play simple tunes on the pianica. The child is gradually introduced to the keyboard in the Tutti Keyboard programme. The key components of music learnt in Tutti Tots are reinforced, while keyboard skill is given more emphasis. Children are encouraged to respond to cues, echo short rhythm patterns, identify rhythm symbols and notations, as well as identify and respond to simple scores through percussion playing.

I think when music becomes a natural and joyous part of the child, they will benefit greatly in many aspects of life, such as language, self-expression, concentration, fine motor skills, emotional and social development.
- Bloom's Teacher Irene

If you are interested to learn more about our programmes, visit us at our studio:

Blk 528 #02-2387
Ang Mo Kio Ave 10
Singapore 560528

Give us a call:

Or email your interest to
enquiry@bloom.com.sg
with the subject line "ReferralDenise"

BloomSchoolSG
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Tutti Tots Music Programme (3-4yo)

Postby BloomSchoolSG » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:57 pm

The pianica is another name for the melodica, a free reed instrument similar to accordions and harmonicas. Pianicas are lightweight and portable, and popular in music education, especially in Asia.
A pianica has a musical keyboard--usually two or three octaves long--and a mouthpiece attached to a hole at the side. It is played by blowing air through the mouthpiece; pressing a musical key opens a hole, which allows air to flow through the reed (mouthpiece).

The pianica is a simple instrument to learn and use. In Bloom School of Music & Arts' very own Tutti Tots programme (unaccompanied music classes for 3-4 year-olds), students will learn to develop listening, focused attention, imagination, creativity, and self-expression, and by the end of the course, be able to play simple tunes on the pianica.

Nurture your child's ability to use language and participate in dramatic play within a music context:

* Group class for preschoolers to attend independently

* Children will experience activities that promote Language, Socio-emotional, Physical, Creative & Musical Development

* Children will be introduced to sequential learning of musical concepts necessary for a strong musical foundation, all done in a fun and stress-free environment

* Children will learn music like a language through Rhythm Patterns (Gordon Rhythm Language) and Tonal Patterns (SOLFEGE, Music and Songs in Major & Minor Keys)

* Activities include singing, chanting, moving, dancing, listening, playing musical instruments, story-telling, dramatisation and interpretation of different kinds of music

Class
45 minutes per session, once a week
10 sessions per term
Maximum 5 students per class

Materials (Compulsory to purchase)
1 x Activity Book and 1 x Workbook @ $50
Pianica @ $39.90 – from the 3rd Term onwards

Register for a trial lesson at just $40! Sign up on the same day, and we will waive off your registration fee of $40!

Start your child's musical journey with us today! Contact us or drop by our studio to learn more:

By MRT:
Nearest MRT Station is Ang Mo Kio, next nearest MRT Station is Yio Chu Kang

By Bus:
Bus No. 265* / 548 alight at Blk 527, Ang Mo Kio St 52 – Cheng San Market
Bus No. 45 / 88 alight at Blk 540, Ang Mo Kio Ave 10
Bus No. 72 / 88 / 159 alight at Ang Mo Kio ITE, Ang Mo Kio Ave 5
*same bus number but two different directions, kindly check with the bus driver before boarding

Blk 528 #02-2387
Ang Mo Kio Ave 10
Singapore 560528

Fax: +65 6458 0439
Email: enquiry@bloom.com.sg

Opening Hours
Tuesday to Friday 1.00pm to 9.00pm
Saturday to Sunday 9.00am to 6.00pm
Monday & Public Holidays Closed